Author Topic: Robert HALES born 1814  (Read 2174 times)

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert HALES born 1814
« on: Thursday 28 February 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me find out more about Robert HALES born 1814 went out to New South Wales arrived in JOhnstone 1849 and who also went to Gaol in Goulburm in 1874 his occ was a butcher and i wanted to know if he was married when he went out as i suspect he may be married to Caroline nee Nash. Thank you
davey wood

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Robert HALES born 1814
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I see where you are going according to the 1841 Census in Middlesex.

1851 Caroline is Widowed, youngest Child is Fredrick c 1845.

But there is a Robert Hales Death Reg Sept 1848, Holborn and March 1851, Strand (both London area)
Either of these Roberts would not appear on the 1851 Census.

Burial Robert HALES;
27 Aug 1848, St Sepulchre, age 36 (1812) abode Cow Cross

As the Children of Robert/Caroline were Christened St Sepulchre this may be him.

Did your Robert Marry in Australia, when/where?
When/where did he die?
Do either of the Certs contain any info? 

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yes i saw those deaths too and beleived the one in 1848 was him until the reply posted by ladyhawk suggested the one emigrated to nsw - the only reason considering him is that he fits perfectly with birth year place and occupation and the fact that he is missing and both Emma louisa`s birth and one of his sons marriage certs are a problem with him. His sons marr cert says his father was a butcher but doesnt say deceased, and emma louisa`s birth is in 1850(dec) if we have the right one which suggests she was born to Mark antony who caroline married in 1856 as either way robert hales would not be around to give her a child in 1849. No proofs from certs im afraid but prob have to get it, Thank you for your interest
davey wood

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 February 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry didnt answer your questions about robert in australia- this is a long shot and know nothing about it put out post on australia part to see if they can come up with anything - just proof that he was married to caroline. The only thing is caroline says she is widowed on 1851 census but that may be to save face ?
davey wood

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census has a Philip Hales c 1796 living in St Sepulchre area , Occp Slaughterman
(Robert has his Occp as Slaughterman on a Childs Christening)

This is likely to be Roberts Father as per Marriage Record to Caroline Nash 1838. He is NOT born in County. There is a Frances age 20 with him who is born in County.

She may have Married John LOADER 1842 (F/S.Org) but no Fathers name is given.
1851 a Frances Loader born c 1821 Bloomsbury is with her Husband John in Middlesex.

Anything is possible re Robert if indeed it is the one Married to Caroline.
My G/Grandfather James Purdy came to Australia 1857 leaving a Wife  and a Child in England.
We will never know if he abandoned her or she just didnt want to come and stayed in England and they decided to separate.
She remarried 1863 and he didnt remarry til 1869.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 13 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Only Christening I can find on F/S;
Philip HALES
England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   
christening: 25 Dec 1817, St. Sepulchre, London, England
residence: St. Sepulchre, London, England
parents:PHILLIP/FRANCES

As Philip was not born in County in 1841 Census;

Marriage;
Philip HALES
Frances PRIDIE
18 November 1811, Upton Cum Chalvey, Buckinghamshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
For Info. this is the thread for Hales/Price families

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,637598.msg4848860.html#msg4848860

see replies No. 3 & No. 25 for  Robert Hales in Australia
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 13 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me find out more about Robert HALES born 1814 went out to New South Wales arrived in JOhnstone 1849 and who also went to Gaol in Goulburm in 1874 his occ was a butcher and i wanted to know if he was married when he went out as i suspect he may be married to Caroline nee Nash. Thank you

Apart from the entry from the Gaol Description Book, where-else have you checked for your chap's arrival to NSW ....  that's big gap between 1849 and 1874 ....  In 1849 NSW covered all the territory that is now Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales.  Victoria hived off in 1851,  Queensland in 1859....

Have you looked for passenger lists for the "Johnstone" voyage?  Which port did it land your chap at?  His parents names should be on the passenger lists into NSW.  His parents names are ?
 :)  :)  :)

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 13 02:03 GMT (UK) »