Author Topic: Finding records before 1864  (Read 3602 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding records before 1864
« on: Thursday 28 February 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find who the parents were of my Great Great Grandfather John Smyth who married Ellen Corcoran in Inniscara, Cork in 1854 - I have found a church marriage record but it does not state the name of his father. John Smyth according to family legend was a quaker who converted to Catholicism to marry Ellen Corcoran - would anyone know where I would go to find Quaker records?   

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: Finding records before 1864
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 13 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may be of interest even though the spelling is slightly different: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR9N-HRF

You can try family search and see what you might find that fits!  :)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »

The parents names are not recorded on the registers of  marriage for the Inniscarra R.C parish,
they just contain the date of marriage, names of bride & groom, names of witnesses and the
priest who officiated at the marriage.

The birth registers might be your best option  to see if Ellen Corcoran was baptised there.

The records are indexed and the parish priest at Cloghroe holds both the original registers
and the typewritten index.   

You mentioned that John Smyth was a Quaker.  I located an article from the Journal of
the Cork Historical  and Archaeological Society written by Michael Ahern and in it there is a
mention of the Quaker families that came to Youghal  because of favourable economic opportunities. "The Youghal Quaker community increased rapidly in the last three decades of the
18th century. Among the new arrivals were the
Bateman, Cox, Eustace, Fry, Hanks, Hoowee, Jackson, Johnson, Lecky, Moor, Peet, Roberts and
SMYTH families".
A lot of information about the Quakers in Youghal but no other mention of Smyth families.

There are a lot of Quaker records held at the "Cork Archives" but they are all on microfilm http://www.corkarchives.ie/media/U622web.pdf-

There are some records available to view at the Cork county library in the
O'Casey ( O'Kief Coshe Mang) volumes  under
"Quaker records for Cork City,Vol 11 page 1821-1920  I will be at the library next week
and will take a look to see if any Smyth/Smith records in it for you.

Will let you know what I find

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Went to the Cork County library today and got some very interesting information from
Richard one of the expert librarians.

Some details on the Smiths who owned an inn/hotel in Blarney village.

Do you think your Smith is directly linked to the hotel Smiths?

Are you in Ireland or overseas?

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry for very long delay responding but I just saw this message now, no I don't think my Smyth's are related to the Smith's of Blarney hotel.

I have spoken with an elderly family member and she informed me that the Smyth's origins were somewhere in the North - this makes sense as John Smyth was a Dyer and the Linen industry was strong in Ulster in the 1850's.

The key to my search is finding where Annissilley Pike is in Cork? On the marriage cert for my ancestor John Smyth in 1854 Inniscarra parish he states this as his address - I cannot find this place on any maps, I know Inniscarra is well known for Pike fishing so it may be a local name instead of an official name, it also may be spelled wrong and may be Innisleena. But I cannot be sure - if anyone out there has heard of Annissilley Pike I would appreciate if you let me know. I think if I find the place I can find more about my Smyth ancestors.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
"Pike" in a placename or townland usually refers to a "Turnpike" where tolls were collected for using the road.  See following link at paragraph titled "18th century"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_roads_in_Ireland

Added - There is a surname Annesley

See 2nd paragraph of "Introduction" on following link -  mentions Inniscarra
https://ballincollig.wordpress.com/toll-roads/