Author Topic: List of notifications?  (Read 978 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
List of notifications?
« on: Thursday 28 February 13 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Either I'm having an extended and worringly early senior moment, or I used to be able to view a list of RootsChat boards and topics that I was getting notifications for - possibly somewhere in my profile. However, I've looked everywhere I can think of, and can't find it.

Is this something that got changed at the revamp, and if so, will it be coming back? Or am I getting confused with what I can do on other forums? And if I can't access a list of notifications, what are the current options for managing them?

Thanks for any help,

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: List of notifications?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 February 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at Account Settings under your Profile.  It should show what you have set up.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 February 13 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I have now found it, but it didn't seem very obvious, and I wonder if there might be scope for tweaking the menus or navigation a little?

In the main menu bar (the dark brown one), if I hover on Profile, I get a drop-down menu with 3 items in it - Summary, Account Settings and Forum Profile. None of those leads me to a page where I can manage notifications.

To find the notifications page I have to go to the main Profile (summary) page and hover on the Modify Profile button for the drop-down, which incidentally also includes links to a couple of other things that don't appear in the main menu drop-down.

When I was looking before, it didn't occur to me that managing notifications would be part of modifying my profile, so I didn't put my cursor anywhere near the Modify Profile button and therefore didn't see the link - but at least I know now. However, it makes me wonder: the drop-downs on the Profile Info and Modify Profile buttons between them link to 8 different pages, of which only 3 appear in the main menu drop-down, so would it be possible for that to include all 8?

Anyway, thanks again for your help,

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 13 08:24 GMT (UK) »
The Account Settings link under the profile leads directly to a page that has Notifications in a list on the left hand side - at least mine does.   Yours should too.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
see also for different layout possibilities:
Help Pages » Profile

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help:
The Account Settings link under the profile leads directly to a page that has Notifications in a list on the left hand side - at least mine does.   Yours should too.
It does now, but it didn't until I found the option in Modify Profile > Look and Layout. However, Bob's way is quicker.
see also for different layout possibilities:
Help Pages » Profile
Bob
That Profile Help page would probably have solved my problem! However, I went to the one listed as "Profile - Notifications", which still refers to the old site design. And as I hadn't at that stage seen the Modify Profile options either, I was a tad confused.

Anyway, all sorted now, so thanks for your help.

Arthur