Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41214 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #171 on: Friday 29 March 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Baptised in Bellerby in 1817, Lydia Bushby, a 3 x great aunt, daughter of Christopher Bushby and Mary Favell. Lydia married Matthew Metcalfe in 1848 and had three children. She died in 1867.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Friday 29 March 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Benson my 2 x g.g.uncle married at Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1845

Rebecca Gilchrist my 1st cousin 4 times removed was born in Boston, Lincolnshire 1842

Susan Singleton my 6 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1668

Charles Dyke my husband’s 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Hatton, Warwick in 1772

John Brand my 3 x g.grandfather was buried at St Denys Parish Church, Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 1850.  His occupation at the time was given as a Chair Turner, and his cause of death bronchitis.  He married and had 9 children, but two years before his marriage, a maintenance order was taken out against him for a female child born to a Mary Barnatt.  His wife, my 2 x g.grandfather was 7 months pregnant when he married her.

George Woodward my 3 x g.g.uncle was buried in Frodsham, Cheshire in 1787.  He was baptised 2 days previously at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, so presumably he was a sickly new born child who died at just a few days old.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Saturday 30 March 13 07:28 GMT (UK) »
On this day in 1719 at Alwalton in Huntingdonshire, my 6 x great grandparents Elizabeth Edis and William Brice married. Elizabeth came from the nearby parish of Elton.

I have not managed to trace William back at all.
They had 6 children, WIlliam died in 1759, and Elizabeth in 1769 or 1772.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Saturday 30 March 13 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Miriam May Collett my 4th cousin was born this day in 1901.  On the 1901 census she is shown as 1 day old and her name as N.K (Not known!).

Alice Catherine Cockett (nee Brand) my g.grandmother was born in Market Square, All Saints, Northampton in 1847.   She was the first child of my 2 x g.grandparents, but on every census following her birth she was living with someone else.

Elizabeth Dameron my 10 x g.g.aunt was born in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1544.  She was the 6th child of my 11 x g.grandparents.  Unfortunately, although I know her father was called William, I cannot find out the name of her mother.  In his will, William only refers to her, mainly as an afterthought, as “my wife”.  I’ve contacted Suffolk Archives and they cannot find a marriage for William, mainly because I can only give an approximate date the it would be too costly for me to pay for one of the archivists to search through about 5 years of Parish records.  Never mind, one day I might get back to Suffolk to conduct a search myself – our hopefully the Suffolk records will come on line.

Jeremiah Bagshaw my 6 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Bradfield, Yorkshire in 1684.  He’s another one whose mother I can’t find.  In this case, I have searched the Yorkshire records on Ancestry and on Familysearch without any luck.  I also spent time in the churchyard trying to find graves, but most of them were so old the carving of the names was illegible.

Joseph Middleton my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Millom, Cumberland in 1811.  Joseph was the 6th of 12 children.  No wonder when his mother died, her cause of death was given as Natural Decay!

Jane Middleton my 3 x g.g.aunt and sister of Joseph above, was baptised in 1818.

George Woodward my 4 x g.grandfather died in Norley, Cheshire in 1817.  According to Cheshire parish records he was buried at St Laurence Church, Frodsham.  This makes sense as his wife and various family members are buried there.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to have got round to carving a gravestone with his name on it.  I assume he is probably buried with his wife who died in 1805 – despite her gravestone showing she died in 1808!

Isaac Day my 3 x g.g.uncle died in Osbournby, Lincolnshire in 1785.  Interestingly Isaac was his mother’s maiden name.

Edith Florence Cockett my g.aunt who died on 27 March 1894 was buried 3 days later on 30 March 1894 in Manchester General Cemetery.  She was 5 years old.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to have to bury a child at that age, and to make it worse she was buried on her mother’s birthday (Alice Catherine Brand the second person shown above).

Here is a photo of Alice Catherine Cockett (nee Brand)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Saturday 30 March 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Oops !     Missed one yesterday.

Remember my Great Aunt Lizzie who ran away to Canada and married George Stubbs ?    Her first son, (also a George) .... George John Walmsley Stubbs was born 29th March, 1901 in Manitoba.  He married twice, and it is said he also had 'liaisons'; one of his six children was my lovely cousin Dorothy, with whom I stayed in Kelowna, and she came to visit me here, and I had a wonderful holiday in Greece with her !

Georges middle name of Walmsley was his English grandmothers nee name .... and it is, like Trowbridge, still in use in the Canadian branch of the family as a middle name, even though the modern generations have no idea where it came from, until I told them !!   

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 31 March 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
Did your Walmsleys originally come from Ireland Lydart, mine did, Fermanagh.

On 31st March 1816 William Tweedie was born in Carnwarth, Lanarkshire. He was the son of my 3xG grandfather's brother David and his wife Mary Orr and according to my new relationship gizmo, my 1st cousin 3 x removed. I don't know much more about him at present apart from he died in New Zealand sometime before 1900.
I missed his sister Christina in January so will add that she died in Redhill, South Australia in1902.

On 31st March 1856, my 4xG grandfather William Cudworth married his second wife Elizabeth Knowles in Leeds. He was a cordwainer and a widower living in East Water Lane. Elizabeth was a widow and born Elizabeth Coulton and living in Hatfield Yard at the time of the marriage. Wiliam would be widowed a second time and the last abode I have for him is a pub near Huddersfield.

On 31st March 1873 Thomas Brown died in Corbiehall, Bo'ness. He was the son of my 4xG grandparents John Brown and Janet Gibb, apparently making me his 3xg grand nephew. He left everything to his brother Alexander who was also the executor of his will, though he made provisions for his unmarried sisters, Margaret and Agnes. His brother, my 3xG grandfather Walter doesn't get a penny or even a mention. He left a grocery business and several properties he was renting out. How the son of a blacksmith acquired all this, I don't know. He is buried with his brother Alexander, his sister-in-law Janet Cuthill and his parents in the Lower Wynd churchyard in Bo'ness.
His will, which mentions Bo'ness by it's full title of Borrowstouness, is beautifully written and very easy to read as the snippet below shows.

Update: Sunday 31st March 2013 is the day that I received confirmation that the gravestone for my 5xG grandfather, Robert Tweedie (died 1772), grandfather of the above William, still exists. This information plus a photo of said stone was sent to me my my pal and fellow Rootschatter, Meg, to whom I am related through my Tweedie line.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Sunday 31 March 13 08:47 BST (UK) »
Today John Cock the churchwarden of Ashton under Lyne, died today in 1791.
He was mentioned on the 28th for his marriage

also

Charles James Douglas, my great uncle died today in 1964 at Peterborough Memorial Hospital
He was the last of the watchmakers in the family.
My Dad new him as Uncle Charlie. He was a twin to George Percy Douglas ('Percy')
He took over the Clarke's business in Market PLace, Oundle, after his Uncle George Wyman Clarke died.
Charles served in the RAOC in the First World War
Charles married Muriel May Sabin in 1922, but they never had any children.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Sunday 31 March 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
It's my uncle Clive's 78th birthday today. Happy Birthday to you. xxx :D

For those who are already there, here is the new thread for April:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641773.0.html

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Sunday 31 March 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
William Spraggett Clarke and Anne Dyke my husband’s 2 x g.grandparents were married at St Mary’s Church, Warwick, in 1850.  Both of them had unusual deaths, William hung himself and many years later, Anne died by falling downstairs and fracturing her skull.

Benjamin Hobson my 2 x g.g.uncle married Sarah Senior in Emley, Yorkshire in 1834

Alice Ann Conway (nee Cockett) my g.aunt was born at Collyhurst Road, Manchester in 1871.  She was the 2nd daughter of my g.grandparents.  She was 31 when she married and not being able to have children of her own, “adopted” her husband’s illegitimate child.  I guess she knew he was her husband’s child because he was born to a servant living about 3 doors away, but not only that when his mother registered his birth, she gave Alice Ann’s husband’s surname as a middle name of the child! 

William Smith my 7 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1672/3.

Elizabeth Isaac my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Aswarby, Lincolnshire in 1749

Martha Hardy my husband’s 2 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Laurence Church, Denton in 1839.  She was the 3rd child of my husband’s 3 x g.grandfather Richard with his 2nd wife.  Richard ended up with 10 children, 5 with each wife.