Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41216 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #180 on: Sunday 31 March 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Today in the year 2000 my mother died; she was 93.   I wrote about her a couple of threads ago on 11th January, her birthday.

I still feel sad ..  :'(  .. and miss her dreadfully,   but the anniversary of her death happening today on Easter Sunday made it very OK !!    I know where she is ....
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Monday 01 April 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
On this day my gradfather Harry Jackson died in 1953 after being taken to Hospital at Chertsey.
He was only 63, and as I was only 17 months old I have no memory of him.

Harry was born in 1890 in HYde in Cheshire. He was training to be a mine manager, learmomg a lot and taking exams.

He was undermanager of the mine at Bredbury in approximately 1924, when he was involved in a pit fall. Harry's father Edward had already died by this stage (in 1921). My mother was also born while they were living at Bredbury.

I do not know the exact nature of his injuries, but he was not able to work in the pit again.

THe family moved south, along with Harry's mother Ann, and sister Annie and her husband Noah.

They all stayed initially with Harry's step-sister Sarah 'Sadie' Hammerton and her husband Joe (and her son Trevor from Sadie's first marriage)

Not sure how big the house was but the family settle in Ashford middlesex. Annie's family (and Ann ) settled in nearby Shepperton

Harry had a paperwork job.

They had two more children, one while staying at Sadie's and one in Ashford, making 5 in total.
It is clear that Harry's health was never perfect, but it was a real shock to the family when he died suddenly.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Monday 01 April 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I'm not locking this thread in case anyone has forgotten any late March anniversaries but please can we move to the April thread now.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641773.0.html
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 07:29 BST (UK) »
Grace Smith - nee Gee and Jonathan Catlow married today at Ashton under Lyne in 172
Jonathan, born a Quaker in Colne in 1705, baptised as a adult in 1721 , and became curate and schoolmaster of Ashton in 1725 and 1724.

Grace's previous marriage is unknown, but thank to an unmarried Aunt's will and property dealings, her identity is known.

They had 7 children, but Jonathan died quite early in 1746. Grace died in 1753.
Jonathan's inscription said
Here lieth the Body of Rev. Jonathan Cattlow late Curate of the Church for 21 years. June 1, 1746, aged 42 years & 9 months. Also Grace, Relict of Jonathan Catlow, buried Nov. 29, 1753, aged 52 years.

Some of Jonathan's dealing are mentioned in 'England in Ashton under Lyne'
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Stonechat .... are those last entries for March ?    We have moved over to the new thread for April entries !   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641773.0.html
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Monday 08 April 13 17:45 BST (UK) »
Just bookmarking
Strange as this is and I missed March sorry
My auntie Elizabeth Gilroy Stark was born on 31 .3.1913 at Spittal Berwickshire
She married James Faiil on 31.3.1939 At St Pauls Church Spittal
and died 31.3.1966 at Galashields Hospital aged 53

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Have I missed a few threads here

I tried to find this thread yesterday
April 20th 1885 my grandmother Martha Thompson was born at Spittal Northumberland daughter of John Thompson and Jane Stuart Turnbull
This was also Adolf Hitlers birthdate

Today 21 April we Wish our Queen a happy birthday but sadly this is the date my father Joseph McKenzie die 45 years ago and it was a Sunday morning around 10 o'clock
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Have I missed a few threads here

I tried to find this thread yesterday
April 20th 1885 my grandmother Martha Thompson was born at Spittal Northumberland daughter of John Thompson and Jane Stuart Turnbull
This was also Adolf Hitlers birthdate

Today 21 April we Wish our Queen a happy birthday but sadly this is the date my father Joseph McKenzie die 45 years ago and it was a Sunday morning around 10 o'clock
Elizabeth

We are here now....http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641773.0.html

And that won't be for long - there will be another new thread next week! :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
On 2 March

In 1835 my 2 x great grandparents, William Baker and Elizabeth Morrison Spiby, were married at Wartnaby, Leicestershire.  I'm not sure how William came to be in Leicestershire, as he was born in Bray, Berkshire, but in the 1841 census he was a male servant, so maybe he went there with an employer.  The family then moved to Lewisham where William became a coachman.  I have never found their deaths.

In 1843 my great grandmother, Clara Rosina Giovannelli, was born in Clerkenwell, London, the youngest daughter of Gregorio (Gregory) and Mary (nee Kingham).  I was pleased to find her birth as my father could not and he became convinced that she had been born in Italy.  In fact she was registered as Rosina, but I took a chance and sent for the certificate and it was right!  I don't know when she started to become known as Clara.  There was certainly no way she could have been born in Italy - Gregorio came to England some time before 1818 when he and Mary married - they lived in the same house in Clerkenwell from then on until their deaths.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell