Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41225 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 10 March 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
My gt. aunt Minnie Louisa Pain, was born in 1892 in Plumstead; daughter of James Ottley and Amelia Sophia (nee Rainer). She was their sixth child.  Minnie married Thomas Charles Roden in 1914 in Islington.  There were no children; Minnie suffered 2 miscarriages and she died in 1974.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 10 March 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Simeon Edward Salter my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born in Falmouth, Tasmania in 1863. His mother was transported to Van Dieman’s Land.  More about her on 24th March.  Simeon was the nephew of George Reuben Mumby below.

Harry Dawson my husband’s grandfather was baptised at Manchester Cathedral in 1872.  Harry’s son-in-law was the 3 x g.g.grandson of William Spraggett below.

William Spraggett my husband’s 4 x g.grandfather was baptised in Leamington Hastings in 1749/50.  His wife was baptised 10 years and 17 days later.  They had 15 children over 27 years.  My husband’s 3 x g.grandmother was no.13.

Elisabeth Tubbs my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in  1793

Fanny Frost (nee Collett) my g.g.aunt  died in Hull in 1927 aged 80.  She lived with my g.grandparents after her husband died in 1906 and because my g.gran was pretending to me much younger than she actually was, she also had to change Fanny’s age for the 1911 census. ::) My dad who was called Francis William, always told us he was named after his aunt Fanny.

George Reuben Mumby and Mary Ann Stanton my 2 x g.grandparents married at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1842.  They had 10 children, the first two in Boston, the next one in Yarmouth, Norfolk and the rest in Hull.  Child number 9 became my g.grandmother.  They were married for 36 years before Mary Ann died, at which point their youngest child was 16.  However, on the 1881 census, George aged 63 was living with a widowed housekeeper aged 39 and her daughter.  He married the housekeeper in May 1881

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 10 March 13 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Today in 1759, my 5 x great grandfather, John Crichton, was baptised in Methlick, Aberdeenshire.

That's all folks! ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 10 March 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Today in 1828, Eli Lane was baptised in North Perrott, Somerset. 1st cousin 4 times removed, whatever that means!
A bit closer to home, my grandfather Tom Sealey ended the first part of his military service in the UK on this day in 1901 and was sent to serve in South Africa in the second Boer War.
My 2nd gg uncle Mark Sheppard was buried in Westwood Wilshire on this day in 1836.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 11 March 13 05:19 GMT (UK) »
9 March 1823
My 4xgreat-grandfather, Giovanni Antonio Vitali, was born in Druogno, Piemonte. His parents, Pietro Vitali and Antonia Maria Beccari, were farmers in the area. Giovanni was the second of nine children. He argued with his father and at sixteen left Italy to live in the Netherlands, walking most of the way. When he was eighteen, he was forced to return to Italy for compulsory military duty. Upon his return to Amsterdam, he started as a chimney sweep apprentice. His father sent him letters and money but they never saw eachother again. Giovanni married a Dutch (a quarter French and a quarter German) servant, Sophia Pardoen, with whom he had 12 children, in Den Haag in 1850. He later owned his own chimney sweep companies, and died in 1893 aged 70.

10 March 1819
My 5xgreat-grandparents, Jan Stevensen Kieft, a 33 year old day labourer, and Jannetje Hannissen Haverkamp, a 23 year old, were married in Nijkerk. They had eleven children and remained married until Jannetje died on 23 May 1854, aged 59. Jan died the following year aged 69.

10 March 1875
My 5xgreat-grandmother, Antonia Maria Beccari, died in Druogno aged 75. She had been born there on 9 August 1799, the daughter of Giovanni Battista Beccari and Antonia Maria Baratta. She married farmer Pietro Vitali and had nine children. Widowed in 1853, she remained in the area until her death.

11 March 1781
My 6xgreat-grandmother, Gerritje Giesbers Rakhorst, was born in Putten. She was the daughter of Gijsbert Hendriksen Rakhorst and Teunisje Willems. Gerritje married Elbert Otten van Donkersgoed and they worked as farmers, raising eleven children. Widowed in 1845, Gerritje died in 1859 aged 78.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 11 March 13 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Jane or Jenney Hall, my great great great grandmother was born today in Rowarth near Hayfield in Derbyshire in 1805 to Joseph Hall and Mary aka Malley aka Molly Sikes.

Although I had Joseph and Mary's name some time ago from their grandson's nonconformist baptism (Christopher Hall Leah) , I only recent found Jane's baptism. UNfortunately this has not led to a further rush of success
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Jane Baxter my 6 x great aunt was born in Heckington, Lincs in 1711/12

Thomas Phillips Boyers my 1st cousin 4 times removed was born in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1853.  He was the 2nd child of the family to be given this name, his namesake was born in July 1851 and died in June 1852.

Hannah Gaunt (nee Scholefield) my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Almondbury Parish Church, Yorkshire in 1758

William Collett g.g.uncle was baptised in Poringland Magna, Norfolk in 1838.

John Cocket my 5 x g.grandfather was buried in Weston, Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1750/51

Martha Bayldon my 4 x g.g.aunt was buried in Almondbury Parish Church, Yorkshire in 1755

There is an obscure connection between Hannah Gaunt above and Martha Bayldon, in that Hannah was Martha’s nephew’s wife’s brother’s wife.   ::) ::)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Two births today (my tree programme only gives this detail on the calendar):

A gt. uncle, Arthur Henman Pain, born in 1898 in Plumstead;  son of James Ottley and Amelia Sophia (nee Rainer).  Sadly Arthur died in December 1898 and is buried in  Plumstead Cemetery.

A 1st cousin 2R, Joshua Henry Barham, born in London;  son of Henry and Louisa (nee Webster). Joshua married Margaret Eliza Marsh in 1895 at St. Matthews, Newington.  He was a fruit and vegetable porter at Covent Garden.  Accordingly to the 1911 census they had 12 children but 2 had died.  I've found 10 and suspect the ones who died were twins but I've not bought any certs.  Joshua died at home in Camberwell from carcinoma of the liver in 1932;  Margaret died in 1947.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:13 GMT (UK) »
1st Cousin 5 x R Peter Brown b 11/3/1837 Peebles, son of John & Helen Brown nee Gilchrist

My OH's birthday.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk