Author Topic: 1866 marriage in Tulla  (Read 3228 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1866 marriage in Tulla
« on: Friday 01 March 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I would like to find the marriage certificate of Anne Atkinson Hall who was married in Tulla (Church of Ireland, not Catholic)  in 1866. I found the reference in familysearch, but the marriage isnt listed among the Tulla marriages on the clare library website. I dont now the grooms name. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 1866 marriage in Tulla
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
These are the references :

Name: Anna Atkinson Hall
  Registration district: Tulla
  Record Type : Marriage
  Year: 1866
  Volume: 14 / Page : 225

The only other name I see with the same references is a Joseph Dexter, and an extract of this marriage seems to be included on FamilySearch as follows :

Groom : Joseph Dexter / single
    Bride : Annie Hall / single
    Date :31 Jul 1866
    Groom's father : Joseph Dexter
    Bride's father: Wm. Hall
    Ref.: 225

a cert from the GRO would show some additional details - e.g. residences for the bride and groom, occupations, names of witnesses...

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
I also found a reference to heaps of births,  so the family is starting to take shape,
 :)
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1866 marriage Joseph Dexter to Annie Hall
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Am now interested in tracing the Dexter family from the time that Joesph Dexter married Annie Hall in Clare in 1866. After having a substantial family,  being widowed (dont know when) Annie lived in England and in Dublin until her death in 1932. But I would love to know more about Joseph Dexter, who was probaly born in the 1840s. Any tips on where to search for an occupation or residence would be most welcome!
Thanks, ;)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Birth certs for the children would give Joseph's occupation and current residence  - his marriage would also show occupation and residence.

Have you found Annie on the 1901 and/or 1911 census - was she widow by then  ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes she was by then, so presumably Joseph died in the 19th century.
I'm in Australia, so I will need to send for  the GRO birth certificates by snail mail.
The birth certs on family search dont give his occupation unfortunately.
Are birth certificates the only source of information about occupations?
I might try my luck with any directories published in Clare between 1870 and 1900.
Thanks again,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The birth certs on family search dont give his occupation unfortunately.
Are birth certificates the only source of information about occupations?
I might try my luck with any directories published in Clare between 1870 and 1900.
Thanks again,

The FamilySearch website doesn't have actual birth certs, just partial extracts and index records.

FamilySearch/LDS do have films of some Irish Civil records, which show the actual GRO registers. You would have to check dates and availability and order these via your local FamilyHistory centre.

p.s you probably only need to order a cert for one of the births you found, or the marriage, to get you started - unless the family moved around, or he changed trade/occupation later
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
most of the extracted birth seem to be listed as Corrofinn sub-district. Although two later births are listed as just Clare or Ennis....   Ennis district is immediately south of Corrofin district - so they may have moved slightly south in the mid 1870s.

p.s. I'm not seeing a good match in Ireland for the death of Joseph... wonder if he moved to England also ?

Shane.

My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane.
Annie lived with one of her sons in England and died at a friends house in Dublin. So yes Joseph could have met his maker in either of those places, or in a million others!