Author Topic: Bairds Square, Holytown  (Read 14751 times)

Offline JasJer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bairds Square, Holytown
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 January 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Forfaran thank you for your very quick reply, I was expecting to wait months! for an answer.  I stumbled across a reference to my great uncle Felix Brannigan in another post on a member looking for 'his' Felix Brannigan, who I know was a first cousin of mine. in the exchange of researchers helping him, they had information on 'my' Felix, and a reference to 59 Bairds Square Holytown, which lead me to this thread on Rootschat. And the accompanying photo of the McGogans at 59 Bairds Square , which peeked my interest, as it was on 'my' Felix's  application to join the British Army's Machine Gun Corps in 1918, as his forwarding address.
 Yes you are very correct,  Felix is son to Margaret White who married Nicholas Brannigan in Holytown in 1893. And Felix was born in Glasgow in 1836 .You were right too , of Nicholas being son of Felix Branigan and Mary Doran (Or Maria, or Annie which is on her death certificate)
 You were absolute right of some of the family returning to Ireland, after a period in Glasgow.
What I had said in the query, which by the way, took me 3 attempts to send, like I said first time enquirer,and having to type the message 3 times! as it disappeared on me in the first two failed attempts, and so the 3rd attempt was a bit reduced , because I was fed up at it, but what I had said in one of failed attempts was Felix had joined the Navy in 1913, when his family, Nicholas , Margaret and all the family but Felix, emigrated to Australia in1913. Felix did not want to emigrate to Australia, so chose to stay behind. Felix spent 6 years in Navy, he was discharged and joined up with Machine Gun Corps, in the last few days of the Great War.
He then joined merchant Navy, spending time in America and Canada, before finally coming to Australia in the mid 30's.
  I am trying to find any links with the McGrogan family with my White family in Holytown, which I have not the faintest idea about. I had tried to attach a page of  his Service Record from 1918, showing the McGrogan address, but again Roots chat said it was too large, even after I reduced the size . I am still coming to terms with the idiosyncrasies of the RootChat way of doing things! I promise you, I will learn!!
 So, thank you for your very detailed response,I appreciate your efforts, yet I am still no closer to finding an answer to the McGrogan Connection.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 January 22 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I thought that you might have had more information than had made it into your first post!

I suspect that any connection will be in Ireland, before any of them moved to Scotland, let alone Australia.

There's a death of Felix Branigan, aged 71, in Clougharevan, District of Mullaghglass, Newry, on 7 November 1884. The death was registered by his widow, Mary, so I think it likely that he is Nicholas' father.

There are a lot of deaths of Mary Bran(n)igans, as you might guess. You can take a look at them at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ and see if you think any might be your Mary Doran. However it will be difficult to be sure because (unlike Scottish ones) Irish death certificates don't tell you the name of the deceased's spouse, let alone their parents.

There seem to be two McGrogan families in Holytown in the 1901 census.

One is the family of Daniel McGrogan and His wife Mary, who are likely to be the Daniel McGrogan and Mary Campbell married in Holytown in 1884. Daniel was 39, a coal miner, born Maryhill. He is therefore probably the Daniel McGrogan born 21 August 1862 in the parish of Barony, parents Patrick McGrogan and Margaret McCabe. This couple also had a daughter Rose, born 4 May 1855. If you think this family is yours, I recommend viewing that birth certificate because it will tell you where Patrick and Margaret were born. They were married in Glasgow in 1852 and the marriage is recorded in both the Roman Catholic register and the Church of Scotland register. Margaret McCabe or McGrogan died in Glasgow in 1870, aged 42. The index does not say what her mother's maiden surname was but the actual certificate will probably tell you the name of her father. There is also a death of a Patrick McGrogan, aged 60, in Glasgow in 1898, mother's maiden surname Tage. He might be the Patrick McGrogan, aged 50, born Ireland, in the 1891 census in Glasgow Calton. His death certificate should tell you the full names of both his parents. Annoyingly, I have yet to find Patrick, Margaret and family in the 1861 census, which would have told me where Margaret was born.

At 32 Baird's Square is John McGrogan, 41, born Glasgow, who, I am willing to bet, is Daniel's older brother, born 10 January 1860 in Glasgow, with wife Margaret, 37, born Holytown, who is probably Margaret O'Neill, married in Glasgow in 1882. You'll need her marriage certificate to find the names of her parents, because there are two possible candidates: daughter of William O'Neill and Mary McGery, born 15 June 1864, and daughter of John O'Neil and Sarah O'Neil, born 8 November 1864. It looks as if Margaret died in Holytown in 1935.

According to the 1871 census, both William O'Neil and his wife Mary were born in Ireland. I have not yet found John O'Neil and Sarah O'Neil in a census. The two Margarets' birth certificates will tell you where and when their respective parents were married.

But so far, there is no coincidence of surnames between the McGrogan and Brannigan families.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JasJer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 January 22 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Wow- Thank You Forforan, I have enough there to keep me busy for some time. I appreciate your efforts in pointing me in the right direction. Once I have a starting point, I can usually muddle along, it will certainly keep me occupied for a little while. if i find anything of interest ,on what you gave me , I will get back to you about it. Thanks again, I appreciate time and effort you spent on it. very much so- regards James
Just for future reference, if I wanted to post a photo, what demintions? pixil side do i use?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 January 22 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Just for future reference, if I wanted to post a photo, what demintions? pixil side do i use?
Click on 'Attachments and other options' below the message in which you want to include, and it tells you what file formats are accepted - see attached screenshot.

Try not to post large images - best to resize them so that people can look at them without scrolling right/left/up/down.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Irene Boyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 June 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
So glad i found this page as i am researching Baird Square West as my family were housed there in and around 1871. Their family name was Fairlie o Ferly. Nicholas Fairlie married Bridget Maillie.  I would really like to find out where they are buried but I'm not having much luck. Nicholas died there in 1881 at 39 years old. Thank you in advance if anyone has any clues. I have searched the nearby catholic burial grounds as they were from Irish catholic descent.

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 June 22 01:43 BST (UK) »
These are the only images I have been able to find so far Ruth.
Not much I know.

Offline Irene Boyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 June 22 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you again.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 June 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
The 2nd picture is Baird Street, in Coatbridge

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 June 22 09:21 BST (UK) »
So glad i found this page as i am researching Baird Square West as my family were housed there in and around 1871. Their family name was Fairlie o Ferly. Nicholas Fairlie married Bridget Maillie.  I would really like to find out where they are buried but I'm not having much luck. Nicholas died there in 1881 at 39 years old. Thank you in advance if anyone has any clues. I have searched the nearby catholic burial grounds as they were from Irish catholic descent.

The closest would be the churchyards at Holytown and Wrangholm