Author Topic: Cooper - Yorkshire Are they a travelling family  (Read 3541 times)

Offline sammyjammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooper - Yorkshire Are they a travelling family
« on: Saturday 02 March 13 23:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi i am new to the forum, and iam trying to find out some info on my family and if the Cooper were also a travelling family along with the Wilsons:

Andrew Skelton (My Great Grandfather) - Married Amy Eldridge

Andrew Skelton parents - were Arthur born 1869 and Fanny Skelton (her maiden name was Wilson)

Arthurs Skelton parents were George born 1832 and Emma Skelton (her maiden name was Cooper)

Emma Cooper parents were Samuel (1814-1883) and Ellen
Samuel Cooper parents were Willian Cooper (1790-1855) and Charlotte ( Maiden name Barker)

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Sam

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper - Yorkshire Are they a travelling family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 13 00:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi i am new to the forum, and iam trying to find out some info on my family and if the Cooper were also a travelling family

Hello and welcome to RootsChat - I don't think the Coopers were a travelling family
1851/61/71 Emma Cooper's father Samuel was an Engine Tenter at the Coal Pit - this occupation involved tending machinery often in a factory -but in Samuel's case at the colliery. By 1881 he was keeping the Greenfield Tavern - a beerhouse on Green Lane Rawmarsh
so there are no signs of a travelling family there

I will check out the Wilsons

Suz
Emma's husband (george Skelton) was a coal miner
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sammyjammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Suz, that's great.
Its so exciting this family history stuff, cant believe we have such stung Yorkshire links this will be news for the whole family.

I think the travelling element of my family comes from the Wilson side when Fanny (Wilson) married Arthur Skelton.

Fanny's mother Hannah Burnside married Andrew Wilson.

Many thanks for your help.
Sam

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »

Fanny's mother Hannah Burnside married Andrew Wilson.

Have you noticed Hannah's mother widow age 73 b Wakefield is with Andrew & hannah Wilson in 1891 census (they are in a caravan Royston Lane Cudworth Yks???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi'
There are some early Cooper's up north a buriel for Mary Cooper 1775 at Nether Broughton and a baptism for Thomas Cooper 1784 at Scalford his parents were William and Anne,Your Coopers like many may have given up the road for the Ker and settled down not all Gypsies Travelled etrnally if it's any help.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline alphaomega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is all absolutely fascinating. Oh to have been a fly on the wall around Rawmarsh at the end of the 19th century. If you take a look at the censuses, not just at one family, but in my case, the whole of Green Lane, you will probably find extended family, also! Hannah Burnside was with Terrance Rafferty first, then when he died, moved on to Andrew Wilson. The younger Rafferty children took the Wilson name. Not sure if Hannah was already expecting Lavinia when Terrance died or if she was Andrew's. Terrance was a "bit of a lad" as was Robert Burnside - they were both up before the magistrates on 'drunk and disorderly' charges together.
How do I know? Research and listening to stories from older relatives who have long gone.
Fanny Wilson was my great-grandma.
As far as " were they all travellers?" is concerned, it depends on whether you mean romany gypsies or travellers. A bit of both, I think. Sometimes if the work was plenty, as in Yorkshire at that time, with the mining and rail, they stayed still for a bit. I do think that if we were able to see pictures of them, we'd know for sure. In my heart, and by looking back at old pics, I'd say they all were.

Offline sammyjammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 September 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have just seen your attached photo and I think the gentleman could be one of my nanny's brothers. Your research seems to be following very close to my family line. With your interest in the Webb line can I ask if you are based overseas?

this is exciting.
Sam

Offline alphaomega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, darling, its Andrew, my Dad, younger brother to Marjie. No, not overseas, that was trying to see where Auntie Vi and Uncle Ken, Julie, Tina and Mark might be. Lost touch with them back in the 1980s. Any help very welcome x

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 September 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
''Skelly ''my mams cousin and Kitty used to come and visit my grandad ,''uncle Andra '' I can remember Jeanie who sang .i'm in touch with lots of the family down through great aunt Bella grandads sister ...and sister to Fanny and Violet .
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,