Author Topic: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
According to the 1901 Scots census, John (aged 48) and Rebecca (49) and their sons Joseph (22) and John (17) and (my grandmother) Margaret Jane (12) were living at 21 Surrey Street in Gorbals (civil parish Govan); Rebecca died in January 1902, and Margaret married John Anderson on 31 December 1909 giving her usual residence as 6 Lennox Place Dalmuir (which I presume is where her father John Gallagher was living also). John's occupation at that time was given as "Water Trust" storeman (in the 1901 census it was mason's labourer.) So I presume John Snr and family must have moved to the Clydebank area (if I have my geography right) sometime between 1902 and 1909. I believe John Snr may have died some time after 1918 or thereabouts. In the 1901 census the surname was spelled Gallacher, but shown as Gallagher on my nana's marriage record. Any clues or pointers would be very much appreciated. :)
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Hi helenjean

Why do you think father John's death is after 1918? Have you got another relevant event after 1918, following daughter Margaret's 1909 marriage?

Have you got John father on the 1911 census to confirm what is happening with his life?

Don't worry too much about spellings  :) When searching for Gallagher , best to use the wild card of * on Scotlands People. Normally Gall*h*r takes care of all the variantions  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Monica: My cousin tells me that her dad (one of my uncles - my mum's brother) remembered his grandfather Gallagher and uncle Joe from his early years in Clydebank (he said they both worked at the shipyards).  Uncle Bill was born in 1914, and left Scotland in 1920, so I thought 1918 or thereabouts was a reasonable guess for a little boy to remember such things. 

I haven't yet located John Snr on the 1911 census - will keep looking. Thanks again for your interest.  :) Helen

Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Found his death, on 28 January 1928 in Dalmuir. Maybe you will find him there on the 1911 census. He remarried it seems, first and second wife showing on his death cert. Joseph his son reported his death. Parents John, a stone mason and Margaret Elder (does this match what you have?).

Can't easily make out second's wife's name or address where John was living, see below:

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I think second wife was a Jeanie DALRYMPLE. Possible marriage shows in West Kilpartrick, Dunbartonshire in 1912.

Monica

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh Monica thank you sooo much!  :-* Can't wait to tell the rest of the family what you've found for me. I had Grandfather John's father's name as John, occupation mason, but not his mother's name.... now I might have some hope of finding his parents' marriage and any siblings amongst the thousands of John Gallaghers in Co. Donegal and elsewhere in Ireland. There also remains the mystery of son Joseph's whereabouts and what happened to the other son, John... but that's for another day.  Cheers and thanks once again. Helen

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Looks like Jeanie Dalrymple to me, and the address looks like 10 Burns Street, Dalmuir.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom - have to go to work now, but will look at the census tonight.  Cheers Helen

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

Could well have been 10 Burns Street, Dalmuir for that death cert  :)

Looks like it was bombed in WW2 www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2878&start=45 or www.tommckendrick.com/code/casualties1.html (different family by then)  :-\

Monica