Author Topic: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?  (Read 3310 times)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to MonicaL and Tom for your interest: now I know what happened to my great grandfather and the links to the bombings during WW2 will be of interest to kin still currently living in and around Glasgow as well as those here in Australia. I have also gleaned an address from the death record for Joseph (son and informant)  and will follow up.  Thanks once again.  :) Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher, John widower of Rebecca nee Weir (d. 1902) ? died in Dunbartonshire?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everybody: I've nailed down such a lot and improved my ScotlandsPeople searching skills in the process too. I've found a marriage for son Joseph (1903) and that he (Joseph) had three children (as at 1911 census). I've also found the arrival in New York of John (junior) in 1910 along with his wife Lizzie, but I can't find that marriage. John Jnr (aged 21) may also be one of two bricklayers who arrived in New York from Glasgow in 1905 with final destination Baltimore: the other bricklayer was named John Smith (aged 36), and I'm guessing their purpose was to do with reconstruction work after the fire in Baltimore in 1904. John Jnr was witness at Joseph's wedding in 1903 and the family were still living at the Gorbals address then. Can anyone steer me towards finding John Jnr's marriage and what happened to him and Lizzie after they arrived in the States? There are some stories that they may have ended up in Canada, but I don't know how to go about tracing their movements.  Any leads would be much appreciated, thanks :)
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
 :) An update: thanks to Shelley (USA moderator) I've traced John Jnr: he stayed in the US until 1909, came back to Scotland and married Elizabeth McMillan in Mar 1910 and they sailed for New York immediately afterwards and ended up in Cook County, Chicago: they apparently had no children: still looking for their dates of death.

I'm planning to visit Scotland in September, so would love to know where John is buried - he died at 10 Burns Street Dalmuir on 28 January 1928; would also like to find his first wife Rebecca's grave - she died of pneumonia at home (21 Surrey Street Glasgow - registration district: Gorbals) in January 1902. Can anybody give me some pointers as to which cemeteries I should be looking at ???