Author Topic: South Africa  (Read 6313 times)

Offline susan hemmings

• RootsChat Senior
  • On my Dad's hand - I live in England
    • View Profile
Bedfordshire:     Church, Brooks
Essex (Great Bardfield):   Woolard
Hertfordshire:  Day, Johnson
Kent:   Church, Bristow, Day, Pharo, Oliver, Green
London:   Brinsley, Gillbe, Dawson, Gash
Northampton:   Pharo, Ilett
Suffolk:   Day, Munnings
Yorkshire:  Oliver, Hall, Richardson

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 March 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »

On Forces war records site there is a record for a T P Tomlinson - Private KOYLI dated 1900.
Whether or not this relates to your chap is not clear.

Hope the link works, but if not just google search "forces war records"..... Fingers crossed for you

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/NameSearch?FirstNamePlaceholderText=First+name&FirstName=thomas+percy&FirstNameIncludeSimilar=False&SurnameIncludeSimilar=False&SaveThisSearch=False&RecordDateStartYear=1899&RecordDateEndYear=1902&IncludeRecordsWithoutServiceNumber=True&DiedInActiveService=False&SurvivedActiveService=False&ReceivedGallantryAward=False&MentionedInDespatches=False&RecordType=BoerWar&Page=0&RecordsPerPage=0&SurnameNamePlaceholderText=Surname&Surname=tomlinson

Susan

Yes Susan, this is the guy. I think he enlisted in 1900 hence the date on the record. Thank you. I do not have a forces records account at the moment so could not see it all.

Chris.
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline susan hemmings

• RootsChat Senior
  • On my Dad's hand - I live in England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 March 13 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Me neither Chris - 

Bedfordshire:     Church, Brooks
Essex (Great Bardfield):   Woolard
Hertfordshire:  Day, Johnson
Kent:   Church, Bristow, Day, Pharo, Oliver, Green
London:   Brinsley, Gillbe, Dawson, Gash
Northampton:   Pharo, Ilett
Suffolk:   Day, Munnings
Yorkshire:  Oliver, Hall, Richardson

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 March 13 00:38 GMT (UK) »
If you click again on that link and then check the "died in active service" box on the left... it narrows it down to just that entry for TP Tomlinson. My guess would be it is the Boer War Casualty details you already have.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladysmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 March 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
Yes Susan, this is the guy. I think he enlisted in 1900 hence the date on the record. Thank you. I do not have a forces records account at the moment so could not see it all.

Chris.

Chris

Almost none of the service papers of fatal casualties in the Boer War survive. I've double checked on FindMyPast and as expected his papers aren't there.

David

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 18:02 BST (UK) »
Almost none of the service papers of fatal casualties in the Boer War survive. I've double checked on FindMyPast and as expected his papers aren't there.

David
[/quote]

David,
Thanks for looking.
Chris
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline koyli1901

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I attach a photograph of Thomas Percy Tomlinson's grave taken by my great uncle Charlie in 1901. Charlie was also with the KOYLI and stationed at Klip River for a time. If you would like a large image contact me and I will send one.

Best wishes,

Robin Thornes

Moderator Comment: email address removed as part of Rootschat anti-spam policy. Please use Rootschat Personal Message system for exchanging personal information or information about living people. New users will need to have made three posts to be able to use the PM system

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 July 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Thornes and welcome to Rootschat ;D
(Modified: Sorry Robin, I got confused and should have written welcome koyli1901 not just your surname ;D)

The email address you included in your post has been removed according to our an anti spam policy. We do have a Private Message system with which you can exchange information but you will need to make three posts to use it. If you make two more posts replying to this thread you will be all ready to send and receive messages.

Thank you for posting the interesting photo.

Milly (Armed Forces Moderator)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 July 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Private Tomlinson must have been a member of the 1st Volunteer Battalion based in Wakefield. Volunteers to South Africa were given a new number from the Regulars' series. Some regiments list them all together and it seems that they were given out alphabetically. The KOYLI list volunteers and Regulars together, so it is less obvious.

He was also entitled to the two date clasps - 1901 South Africa and 1902 South Africa - for his Queens South Africa medal. He was not entitled to the Kings medal, so he was there less than 18 months. The two date clasps were returned to the Medal Office in 1912 as unclaimed.

Records of men who died while serving before WW1 were destroyed 20 years later. Also, no VB records have been kept. Although you should always contact the local Records Office, in case they have something.

Ken