Author Topic: Help Date this picture  (Read 2574 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Date this picture
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Prue
Thanks yep auto fill kicked in new tablet....caubeen is quite correct:-)
I was talking about the guy face on not side on in the photo with distinct black buttons.

I was trained as a mule handler by both the British Army and USMC and have used them in all environments.....in fact the British Army kit was same as been used in the pic. :)
You need his record of service to confirm where he served.

Added: the more I look at it the more I think that the photo shows a Regular Soldier post WW1/pre 1937 in the Royal Ulster Rifles not the London Irish.
They were in Egypt in 1934.
Confusion in the Regiments - it wouldn't be uncommon for a Senior sergeant to be posted from affiliated Regular Regiment (RUR) to permanent staff at TA unit London Irish.
Service record will confirm either way. No way a Territorial would be overseas pre WW2

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 March 13 01:14 GMT (UK) »
finally things are falling into place,,I have a pic of my uncle tommy,  on the bottom of it. It say" kings studio Hong kong "that would have been 1935 and I now believe that the picture of him on horse back was taken in India;I am posting this excerpt I took from wiki pedia on a Lieut Col  Terence Otway RUR.  In August 1939, during three months leave, Otway married Stella Whitehead, daughter of Basil Whitehead of Bovey Tracey, Devon, a retired Colonial Police Officer, who had been Chief of Police in Penang, Malaya. Terence and Stella returned to Rawalpindi, but Stella flew home in April 1940, while the battalion returned by sea to Oxford for conversion to mechanised infantry (from the camels, mules and horses they had been using in India.)

In December 1940, Otway was promoted to Major. He went to Staff College in June 1941, passing out 4th of 200 in December 1941. During 1942 he served as a Staff Officer in London, responsible for briefings and briefing papers for the War Cabinet. In July 1943 he returned to the R.U.R as a Company Commander. The battalion was part of the 6th Airborne Division.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 March 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
That's Good news :D
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 March 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
thanks katie ;D

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 March 13 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 March 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
thanks ady, things are starting to fall in some sort of order.as I mentioned I have a pic of him in hong kong,also had one of him and a bunch of his platoon stretched out in something that looked like a wadi annd written on the back was  "waiting to trap some arabs" i think that could have been in palestine.I always thought he had been in the 1st RUR and later went to the LIR As a young lad I remember him visiting my mum  and in his caubeen he had a sky blue hackle.that would have been about 1945/46 and I was about 8years old. :)