Author Topic: Help Date this picture  (Read 2575 times)

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Date this picture
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
have you applied for his military records this would hold a wealth of info.

or perhaps enlarge his cap badge which would/could help date and identify more accurately.

do you know if he was enlisted perhaps in Australian. Canadian forces?
hi lynne  his  cap badge is that of the "London Irish Rifles"part of the British Army Im about to apply for his service record and gathering as much info as I can,hence me asking to date the pic.want to send as much info as I can.would have been much easier if I had his regimental number ,thank you for your reply lynne. B/B

Another thought is have you got his birth date correct as he could well have been there during WW1 the 2nd battalion went to Palestine and Greece,  I ask this as  the London Irish rifles were disbanded 1919. (if his birth date is correct then he would have been far to young )

Just a thought ' from a silly old woman ' ;D
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:12 GMT (UK) »
have you applied for his military records this would hold a wealth of info.

or perhaps enlarge his cap badge which would/could help date and identify more accurately.

do you know if he was enlisted perhaps in Australian. Canadian forces?
hi lynne  his  cap badge is that of the "London Irish Rifles"part of the British Army Im about to apply for his service record and gathering as much info as I can,hence me asking to date the pic.want to send as much info as I can.would have been much easier if I had his regimental number ,thank you for your reply lynne. B/B

Another thought is have you got his birth date correct as he could well have been there during WW1 the 2nd battalion went to Palestine and Greece,  I ask this as  the London Irish rifles were disbanded 1919. (if his birth date is correct then he would have been far to young )

Just a thought ' from a silly old woman ' ;D
After the cessation of hostilities, the LIR was reduced to cadre strength, before being disbanded in May 1919 at Felixistowe. In February 1920, the 18th (County of London) Battalion of the London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) was reconstituted as a component of the 47th (2nd London) Division of the new Territorial Army, and in 1923, the designation of the Regiment was shortened to 18th London Regiment (London Irish Rifles).hi lynne as you can see the London Irish were up and running again 1920
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:54 GMT (UK) »
It would be unlikely that a member of Territorial Force or Territorial Army post WW1 would be overseas except in wartime.
Are you certain this is your man and confident of date of birth?

He has no campaign medals so it's either pre 1921/2 or he never served overseas in wartime Or he's a post war enlistee

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 13 01:16 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi ady,of course thats my uncle,he was a career soldier,came back from Dunkirk in a pair of pt pants,he served for more than 20 years and was highly decorated soldier and ended his career as a warrant officer,and I know that he was born in 1904.thanks for your reply.

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 13 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ady:

If you go to the part of this site called Photograph Restoration and Dating, You will see a picture Of my Uncle Tommy which I asked to be colourised.  He looks to me like he is about 22 yrs old.  The photograph at the moment is on page 2.  The badge clearly shows London Irish Rifles, and he is in Khaki drill. (Middle East).

Uncle Tommy as a Young Soldier
« on: Sunday 03 March 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 13 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Ok so we know its your man but it may or may not be overseas he is wearing 08 pattern webbing which was in use up to WW2 he has stripes so he's done a few years and the cap badge does look like the London Irish Rifles.Also the other guy in photos has black buttons which signify a Rifles Regiment
They don't have campaign medals which rules out WW1 service or other campaigns prior WW2

So it could be UK? He doesn't wear tropical jacket or nor do the other lads in background.
Also it's pre 1937 as the regiment started to wear the Cabernet headdress then

If he was a Territorial I would see it highly unlikely that he would be overseas unless it was wartime then they would be mobilised.If and when you get his records from MOD then hopefully it will all click into place.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
hi ady, there is no"other" guy [both pictures are of the same person, My uncle,] Also I did six years my self in the Royal Ulster Rifles and know a little militaria, as I clearly stated him being born 1904 rules him out as serving in ww1,hence no capaign medals.   also those pic clearly show that they were taken abroad, I never knew of K/D to be worn in Britain,out of curiosity Ady did you ever serve in the Armed forces? B/B :) ps Cabernet?sure you dont mean Caubeen?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 March 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
hi ady, there is no"other" guy [both pictures are of the same person, My uncle,]
I think Ady means the other fellow in this photo (there are two men pictured after all) ;)

ps Cabernet?sure you dont mean Caubeen?
I suspect an autocorrect function has been playing fast and loose with Ady's text.

(Ady, hope you don't mind me stepping in here - and hope I'm correct in my assumptions!)

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 March 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
thank you Prue for your enlightenment on this topic,would just like to point out that mules and horses were used in places where motorised vehicles would have found it difficult to travel also in the desert it could be pretty cold at night and im sure service dress rather than K/D was preferred.ps I am posting this bit of LIR'shistory.     Inter War

After the cessation of hostilities, the LIR was reduced to cadre strength, before being disbanded in May 1919 at Felixistowe. In February 1920, the 18th (County of London) Battalion of the London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) was reconstituted as a component of the 47th (2nd London) Division of the new Territorial Army, and in 1923, the designation of the Regiment was shortened to 18th London Regiment (London Irish Rifles).

During these years, ties between the London Irish Rifles and the Royal Ulster Rifles (RUR), which before 1921 was known as the Royal Irish Rifles, were greatly strengthened, and the London Irish became part of the Corps of the RUR in 1929.

In 1937, when the London Regiment was disbanded, the LIR became known as London Irish Rifles, The Royal Ulster Rifles. After the 47th Division was also disbanded, the London Irish transferred to the 56th (London) Division. Permanent staff were all seconded or attached from the RUR, but up to 1937, the Regimental Sergeant Major was normally found by the Irish Guards. The London Irish was one of the first Territorial units to start mechanisation by drawing up two "Commer" trucks

The Regiment's piper-green head-dress, the Caubeen, which was worn by all Irish regiments, and was characterised by being sloped to the left instead of the right — only the LIR and Liverpool Irish having theirs sloping on the left - was adopted for wear by all ranks in 1937 in place of the service dress cap.