Author Topic: Can anyone help?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can anyone help?
« on: Sunday 03 March 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, im trying to trace my direct maternal line. I have gotten back to Prudence Littley (alias parsons) bapt. 7/6/1778 halesowen, daughter of Gabriel and Sarah.
It would seem that there was either two gabriels in the area or Sarah was also known as Mary.
There is a marriage in 1769 St. John the Baptist's Church, Halesowen to Gabriel Littley and Mary Muchall. But i can not find one between a Gabriel and Sarah.

Prudence married Benjamin Haddleton 24/12/1798 St. Thomas' Church, Dudley, Worcestershire.

Gabriel was the son of Benjamin Parsons and Martha Harvey, and was baptised in 1744 St. Giles' Church, Rowley Regis, Staffordshire

I had my maternal DNA tested so i am trying to follow that line

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any other children baptised to Gabriel and Sarah? Or are there any to Gabriel and Mary? This would help to confirm either way I would imagine. You could then go back and have a look at the original registers to see if there was a Mary or Sarah either side of each record. It has been found to have happened that the minister or clerk recording the information did so en mass, and made transcription errors (and we all know about those  ;) )
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, there only appears to be one child to Gabriel and Sarah. Gabriel and Mary had Samson 1786 Dudley, Susanna 1771 Halesowen, Thomas 1773 Halesowen (These bapt were under Little(y)), Samuel 1781 Halesowen, Rhoda 1775 Halesowen (bapt under Parsons).

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom,
I guess that makes the Sarah entry the odd one out. Either a transcription error (in recent times or by the original clerk), or simple human error.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.