Author Topic: Missing marriages and parish confusions!  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriages and parish confusions!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
You're not thinking of WW1 service and pensions records are you?

Destroyed by bombing in WW2 and now known as the burnt records?

No not them but that's another set of records that we will never be able to access :(

Parish records from a lot of places have not survived over the years which is why I think some people are never found.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 March 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »

William Pinn b. middlesex (possibly marylebone or chatham ) c. 1794 married to Ann(e) ? born c.1791

William Pinn (b.possibly  St. George the Martyr, Southwark. 1757) married Dorothy ? b. ?

William Pinn christened 9th March 1794 Chatham, Kent
Father William Pinn
Mother Dorothy

William & Dorothy were christening children in Chatham from around 1789.  Have you looked at Chatham PR's for a marriage.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 March 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, yes that's them but no marriage to be found, or at least by me! :(

William senior had been in the Royal marine and William junior was also a royal marine so I am wondering if they traveled and met their wives?

"he was enlisted into the Royal Marines from a district where he was born and spent his infant days (p.24)" re: William jnr in the scrapbook and commonplace book of William Pinn, Tailor ,Chatham.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 March 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you browsed the Chatham registers or are you relying on them being transcribed.

Rosie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 March 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I am mainly relying on them being transcribed but I had a list of images from the registers and some were upside down and even when I turned them the right way up I couldn't read the handwriting :D

Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »

"he was enlisted into the Royal Marines from a district where he was born and spent his infant days (p.24)" re: William jnr in the scrapbook and commonplace book of William Pinn, Tailor ,Chatham.

Do you have their Royal Marine records  :-\

St Mary's Chatham seems to be a bit hit & miss as to what is transcribed at the moment.  Do you have the deaths for William & Dorothy.

I see that both William's were still in Chatham c1810

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t27/

Rosie

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have any baptisms been found for Alfred & Eleanor's children?

If not I would suggest that they may not have been of an Anglican persuasion and so it is unlikely that any marriage, if celebrated in a non-Anglican (Jewish, Quaker) or non-conformist place of worship would exist online. Likewise if they married in a register office, those images won't be online either.

Eleanor's place of birth alternates between Iver & Uxbridge, if she was born in Iver any
relevant records would be at the Buckinghamshire records office at Aylesbury.

I wonder if the Kedge family has anything to do with this? Elizabeth Kedge aged 12 is a visitor from Uxbridge in 1871 and there again in 1881.

As to why records don't exist, very few recent registers have been lost. Parish registers were and still are required to be kept safely in churches and places of worship. Since 1837 there have always been 2 copies of a marriage entry in existance, one at the church, the other at the register office. Prior to 1837 a duplicate set of registers was sent to the Bishop for the Bishops Trancripts so there was a copy there as well. It is well documented that records do not exist in the GRO index for numerous reasons, most notably this

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mikefost/

His research shows that if you can actually go back to the 'original' parish registers you will find your missing entries. If the marriage you are looking for can't be found there, then approach the register office and ask them to search their non-Anglican registers. The indexes were compiled manually until quite recently. Apart from spelling mistakes arising from not being able to decipher handwriting, or fingers hitting the wrong keys on typewriters, entries were written onto slips of paper which were then sorted into the relevant order for compilation. Both slips for each couple were lost. Some half entries are found where one slip is lost which is no good is you don't know the surname of the spouse. I was also told recently of a 2001 marriage which does not exist in the GRO index because the vicar took 18 months to make his submissions by which time it was far too late for this and about 50 other marriages to be included.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
No, no baptisms for them at all! I have baptisms for the vast majority for the rest of the family albeit the odd 1 or 2 missing here and there. I suppose it's highly likely that they married somewhere other than a church. Alfred was very hard to pin down originally too though!

Yes the kedge name has had me wondering in the past too!

Thanks for all the help, it certainly has me pondering and at this rate I think a cross country road trip might be in order! :D
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 19:40 GMT (UK) »
And just to confuse things even more... the only Eleanor/Ellen Kedge b. middlesex I can find 1851 is a niece living with Clarkes in Benton Street, Hadleigh  :-X
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London