Author Topic: Crew of TSS Jervis Bay to Australia  (Read 1845 times)

Offline lexthecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crew of TSS Jervis Bay to Australia
« on: Tuesday 05 March 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Help!
I have for some time tried to trace where in Australia my ancestors settled in the early 1900's with no luck due to lack of info.  So was wondering about going about it in a different way.  My Grandfather was in the Merchant Navy from 1921 to 1933 - I think he was on the TSS Jervis Bay for some of that time.  When it docked in Australia he would stay with his relatives who had emigrated there - would anyone know how I can find the names of crew members please to confirm the name of ship - I was hoping to establish which ports in Australia he would have docked.  I have his CR10 card but it only gives his number of 884004, picture and name - Edward Walter Jones DOB 1904.  A bit of a long shot I know... perhaps he would have given an address where he was staying while in Australia - that would be really good  :)
Thanks in advance.
Lex
JONES  ALLAM  PAGE

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Crew of TSS Jervis Bay to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, father came to Australia on Jervis Bay arriving early 1934 as an orphan under the Fairbridge Farm scheme. He disembarked in Freemantle which was first port of call for ships from UK. Youare able to search for passenger lists (and most times includes crew) for Jervis Bay 1921 to 1950, so, if you have not investigated this site it may help. I did a quick search 1921 to 1935 and there are almost 18,000 responses. The National Archives of Australia sit is www.naa.gov.au search as a guest if not a research member (which is free). top right hand side is the passenger list link.

Not knowing the name of your person of interest I could not filter the number down. May not help, however, may give you some hope.
Good luck
Robert

Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline lexthecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robert

Many thanks for your response to my post.  I have had a quick look at the site you recommended - looks like a wealth of info, I could be there some time I think.

I was searching for my grandfather Edward Walter Jones who would have been listed in the crew, I have tried searching for him but nothing is apparent as yet.  The family he would have stayed with had the surname of Marshall, who were relatives from his mothers side.  As we are looking at almost 100 years ago there is no one in the family who has any more information.  Don't you just hate it when this happens, if only I had asked years ago...

All the best for now
Kind regards and thanks again
Lex
JONES  ALLAM  PAGE

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Lex,
Sometimes first name/s are not given, only initial/s and for children just child. If you do not have any success then dependng opn where you are contact:
National Archives of Australia, Head Office, Canberra
Tel: + 61 2 6212 3600     
Email: archives@naa.gov.au 
I have spoken to them on a number of occasions and always found them to be obliging. Most of their holdings are not on the web catalogue. So do not be reluctant to call and discuss your needs.
I rang to see if my father's service records are available. They said they had them however they needed to assess them to make them "open"; by the end of this month I should have access to them. They are service focussed as far as I am concerned.
Good luck,
Robert
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline lexthecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Robert

Many thanks, I will certainly send them an email, calling from the UK could be difficult with the time difference.  Forgive me for asking, are you in the UK or Australia?

All the best
Lex
JONES  ALLAM  PAGE

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I am a Brit living just north of Sydney Australia on the Central Coast. Been here for most of my life. Since retiring tracking down my roots. All my ancestors are UK - mostly NBL, SFK, London. My wife and I travel to UK as often as we can. I have had immeasurable success in chasing my skeletons over there. Found live aunts, uncles and many cousins; surprising since my mother said all her side perished in WWII. They didn't. WE will be in Lancs for 3 months around the end of the year swapping our house anc car with a Lancs couple. Where are you?
Cheers,
Robert
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline lexthecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

I'm in freezing cold Kent!

Wow, you certainly have had some luck with your family Robert, I wish I could say the same.  Trying to trace family in Oz is a nightmare when you don't have a lot to go on - all I have is the surname Marshall, they must have lived within striking distance of a port as my grandfather would stay with them when he docked and the mention of a pineapple canning factory...
Take care now
Lex
JONES  ALLAM  PAGE

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Golden Circle is a major - major canned fruit company in Australia. Golden Circle Pineapple is the most popular here. They are a Queensland company - probably owned by Americans now though www.goldencircle.com.au have a look about us. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Circle_(company)#Beginnings a bit of history.
Cheers,
Robert
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline lexthecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thats fantastic, many thanks Robert.

You know, if I can do any searching for you over here, you only have to ask, I will certainly do what I can.

Best of luck in Lancashire at the end of the year - you may need your thermals!

All the best
Lex
JONES  ALLAM  PAGE