Author Topic: The May 2005 Rootschat challenge-now with recap  (Read 19553 times)

Offline bluerickm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The May 2005 Rootschat challenge-now with recap
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 12:38 BST (UK) »
Had a closer look at Sarah Kezia Mason and found a marriage for her in Southwark in 1876, so we can rule her out now.

Nice try Annie !

Rick.

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Charlotte MASON
« Reply #181 on: Monday 06 June 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
Well I have been talking to my aunty back home in England who has called my Charlottes 2nd childs Gt Gt Grandson and he has lots of information on my Charlottes family as his family were sticklers on keeping records, the Keziah Mason sister of my Charlotte never married.

She died at the age of 20 not long after Charlotte married the first time. My Keziah died of Lymphadenoma (hope they gave me the right spelling)what ever that is.

It appears Jans keziah and my Keziah are two different people :(

Strange though how two Masons lived in the same street at the time of their marriages must of been a long street, then again there was a lot of Masons there at the time.

Not good news but one can now put closure to this.

Shanko

PS My Charlotte also had two children out of wedlock and Keziah was godmother to them, so my 2nd Gt Grandfather must of decided to make an honest woman of her and married a few years later.

Offline Therootler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Monday 25 October 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I was very interested in the early stages of this challenge email thread, it's what lead me to RootsChat. Thanks for the replies I have already read on another thread, sorry to those who may be unnecessarily hearing from me again! Thanks also to RootsChat for reopening this thread.

Edward Couchman Hunter was my gg grandfather. My g grandfather was his oldest son, Edward Cyril Hunter, who I noted was staying with his grandparents, Richard and Emily at the time of one census.

Also I was interested in the theory someone hinted at that Edward's sister Florence Annie Hunter may have been a singer with the Doyley Carte Opera Company. I have followed this up, but cannot prove she is the same person, but it is interesting. Her niece definitely was a singer/actress. This is the only surviving child of her eldest sister, Emily Jane Hunter, and her real name was Elsa Cutler, she was quite successful.

Emily Jane and her husband Alfred Cutler were in business with her father Richard, as polemakers, making curtain furniture, stair rods and other decorative interiors products. The business still runs to this day, and has a Royal Warrant. Richard died in 1898, Emily sadly only a year later, 1899, and Alfred took the business public in 1900/1901. Richard had had other business interests: where the Maples Building stands today was formerly the Maples department store. Until around 1871 the site was in fact half Maples and half Richard Hunter's. There was something of a joint refurbishment in around 1871, poor attention to detail on the Maples side caused most of the block to collapse, at least six people died. I don't know what kind of settlement there was between them, and would love further information and pictures, but I haven't been successful yet.

Offline Therootler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Monday 25 October 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Elsa took the stage name of Peggy Furber, after marrying Douglas Furber, who in 1917 hit the big time as a lyricist with the song The Bells of St Marys. His real name was Lewin Michael Sultan. Elsa, (Peggy) doesn't seem to associate with this name. Before this, as an amateur, he lists his profession as stockbroker. She seems to have fully assumed the stage name, and I have found details of their travelling to the U.S. many times, and of their son Mortimer (known as John). His real name was Mortimer Lewin Sultan, but again he appears not to have used this. In the 1939 census I find them living in Angmering on Sea, only five minutes from where my grandparents were living, as my family had retired to the Worthing area.

My grandmother married Major Leonard Cyril Hunter in London in 1935. His father Edward Cyril had moved to Staffordshire, and was an electrical engineer. I can only assume he left London partly as a result of the family hiatus caused by Edward his father, but sadly one upshot seems to have been a relative estrangement from the largely London based (at this time) Hunter family. I would dearly love to find out if in fact there were still family connections keeping some communication going. I find it interesting that Leonard Cyril, my grandfather, having trained as a chemist, found himself in London before 1935, surely he must have already been in touch or looked up his local cousins, aunts and uncles in North London? I do not know how/why he met my grandmother, Doris Florence Notson. My grandmother's family were Hancocks and Notsons, all established London families. I have discovered similarities in professions, through publishing and also the stage which could link them. My grandmother had an uncle (Tommy, not his real name) who was good friends with Dan Leno, and I have a picture of them together in a large group of Dan's Dainties, from 1900 in a charity cricket match.

Because my grandmother was such a young widow, and then remarried twenty years later, apart from my real grandfather's sister Cynthia, I cannot find anything, nothing, connecting her to the Hunter family, which is such a shame and so frustrating.

Interestingly if you have read Ferdinand Mount's great biography of his Aunt Munca: Kiss Myself Goodbye, she lived just around the corner from Peggy and Douglas, and being the show business types I feel they must have known one another, even if it was only in the local private club. I would love to know if this were true, they seem similar types. I would also dearly love to know, even if it was only up until my grandfather was killed in the war in 1943, if all the cousins were on good terms, or even all knew they were all living just around the corner from each other, I have no idea. It wasn't just my grandparents, but Emily Doris Hunter/Sawyer's descendents who had local connections as well: the Franklin Hepburns (descendants through the Sawyers) and of course Ellen Blanche, Edward's wife, and their daughter May Louise retired to Hove, and John Leslie appears to have gone as well. At the least, as Ellen Blanche was my grandfather Leonard's grandmother, and present at his parents wedding, and as she lived until 1935 ( the year my grandparent married) I feel there must have been some contact. I have searched and searched for a local newspaper article covering my grandparents wedding, which I assume would have been held in the Hornsey/Muswell Hill area but can't find anything. 

Mortimer Furber was a musical conductor, I have found many entries for him in The Stage etc. In the early fifties he married the opera singer Gita Furber de la Fuente Chaudhuri. She lived to just shy of 100, they retired to Malta, and she passed away in 2017. They were at his parents house in Angmering for the 1939 census as well, and interestingly there are other De La Fuentes in the Worthing area, one of whom I know well, but I can't seem to link them.

Anyway, I hope this proves of interest. If anyone has any information linking any of the above, or better still correspondence from Edward Cyril Hunter of Staffordshire and /or Leonard and Doris Hunter of Sompting, West Sussex I would dearly love to see it!

Thanks for reading

Nickolas Couchman Hunter

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The May 2005 Rootschat challenge
« Reply #184 on: Monday 25 October 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Nickolas and it's good to see that such an old thread can still be found on the internet and be of interest to people.

It's also good to finally find out what type of poles Richard was making and that it was still related to his previous upholstery work.

I'm also pleased that after re-reading all of this I had a look on ancestry and found a tree with Keziah Mason in and have now finally found her in the 1861 census!

It seems that her parents are William Mason and Charlotte Lefevre, but that William died before 1861 and Charlotte remarried a George Potter so Keziah is down as Keziah Potter in 1861 at 92 Milk Street Lambeth.   This also probably explains the Charlotte Potter who was a witness at her wedding.

Best of luck with your Hunter searches Nickolas. Hopefully Jan or Shanko will see your messages and you might be able to share information on your respective parts of the Hunter families with each other.

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright