Author Topic: Cecile Esther Master-Byng  (Read 6168 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Cecile Esther Master-Byng
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 March 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that neither sets of parents attended the weddding!

How do you know, you cant tell this from the marriage certificate? Sometimes the fathers acted as a witness, but more often it was a sibling or a friend or even just someone connected to the church.

Given the unusual name, I would guess there must be some connection with the Master-Byng family. The only hope is that someone can find her birth registration or baptism. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 March 13 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I know from my Grandmother's diaries that Felix parents were at their home in the south of France & Grandmother's entry for 1st June 1910 says" Felix got married." She does not mention the young lady by name & there is no mention of Cecile at all not even her death in 1918  age 38 of Asthenia.
Two strangers, perhaps their friends were the witnesses.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
George Master-Byng lived & died age 57 in 1944 at Buckfast Devon. Cecile lived not 15 miles away at Ilsington---- could there be a connection?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 March 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
This is a real puzzle as he cant be her father as he was born after her and his father George Stanley Byng 8th Viscount Torrington, doesn't appear to have been called Master-Byng. I wonder why she cant be found on censuses before 1911, unless she was in Ireland?

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 March 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Our friend KGarrad feels Cecile could be iligitimate--- if this were so, would she not bare her mothers name? I wonder could she have been adopted by George S Byng & so be a half sister George Master- Byng---there is 6 years difference in age & they live quite close.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 March 13 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Either she was illegitimate or from another branch of the Master-Byng family. Where does the Master bit come from, do you know? You say that on her marriage certificate it says her father was George Master-Byng, but age wise he cant have been.

There were no formal adoptions at that time, but if she has been taken into the George S Byng family wouldn't she have given him as her father?

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 March 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I did not put it to clearly. If by chance she was a half sister to George Master Byng who's father appears to be George S Byng she might also have been given the Master Byng title. Looking back on the family on Peerage there are 2 other Cecile's & a Cecil

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 March 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Either she was illegitimate or from another branch of the Master-Byng family. Where does the Master bit come from, do you know?...

Master-Byng connected quite far back- George Byng (d.1750) was the son of George Byng & Margaret Master:
http://www.thepeerage.com/p59509.htm#i595083
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 March 13 20:10 GMT (UK) »
The readable copy of the marriage cert just arrived. She is Cecile Ethel on her marriage cert, though Cecile Esther on her death cert. Her father is George S Master-Byng, of independent means.

That is the bit that doesn't fit.

I think the only way you may solve the mystery is to either find her in earlier censuses or find her birth. It might be worth asking on the Ireland board, but make sure you put a link to this thread so that people don't waste time looking for what we have already found.