Author Topic: Henry Ashley-my biggest brickwall  (Read 2205 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Ashley-my biggest brickwall
« on: Friday 08 March 13 06:28 GMT (UK) »
This is the one of the biggest brick walls in my family. Hope someone can help.
Henry (Harry) ASHLEY married 1894 to Emma GEORGE (nee HART) in south Australia. He was apparently 35 years old (giving his approximate birth year as 1859) then and his father was Henry ASHLEY. He was born in England (as the stories go). I did find a Henry ASHLEY born to a Henry and Rosetta ASHLEY in Suffolk in 1859 but someone else found him still living in England in 1901.
I think my Henry died in Jun 1918 in South Australia, with the age being given as 72. I haven't been able to verify the death though, and have been meaning to get the death certificate. If this age is right he would've actually being about 47 when he got married. So possibly even an earlier marriage in England??
Can anyone find the Henry that might be mine and could've been in SA by 1894. I don't know when he emigrated from England either  ???

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ashley-my biggest brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
That's quite an age difference isn't it 12 years. 
Have you got the actual marriage certificate with him down as 35?  If so was fathers occupation given and any witnesses?
Appreciate your certificates will be different :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Father's occupations aren't usually written down. However I will try to get the certificate and see what it may help with.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:07 GMT (UK) »
On the Trove website, there are several newspaper articles about Henry Ashley (or several men of that name; it would have to be looked into further). It seems he was a ship's deserter. I have not read the full article, but that may have been how he got to SA.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Also, this thread might be of more value in the Australian section at the moment. At least until you have found more info about him at the Australian end.
Moderators?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:20 GMT (UK) »
The marriage reg with basic facts.  I wonder who James Hart Stirling is. Rereading the original post evidently a rellie of Emma George nee Hart.
Marriage
Henry Ashley
Father's Name - Henry Ashley
Spouse - Emma George
Spouse's father's name - James Hart
Marriage date - 25 Jul 1894
Marriage Place
Res Of James Hart Stirling (North)
Registered
Frome, South Australia
Page 308 Vol 180

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:35 GMT (UK) »
I have someone who is going to get a transcription of the marriage certificate to me by Friday.
The place of marriage should read- Res. of James Hart, Stirling (North). James being Emma's father who lived at Stirling North.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 13 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Stirling North was an outlying area of Port Augusta, now a suburb of I think.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 13 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been able to locate a newspaper obituary for either Henry or Emma (as Ashley). You might need to purchase the certificate to at least get his occupation, and possibly his place of origin. SA certificates are notoriously hit and miss.
Did Emma remarry after Henry's death?
I can answer my own question...
Emma Ashley married a William Morley in 1919 in the Frome district.