Author Topic: Help with deciphering crime please  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering crime please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 March 13 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I knew I shouldn't have looked, I just knew it .... but I did !

One of mine was charged with firing a gun on a Sunday, but his appearance was described as 'Lusty' !!!!!!!!   
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 00:46 GMT (UK) »

One of mine was charged with firing a gun on a Sunday, but his appearance was described as 'Lusty' !!!!!!!!   

Hi Lydart

I've been meaning to get back to this post, but as usual get side tracked with the photo restore board.  Anyway, thought I'd add a postscript as I couldn't believe my luck when I found that in the Dorset Criminal Registers on Ancestry, there is an actual photo album of mugshots available for searching and as luck would have it, I found a photo of my "poacher".  :o  Without wanting to speak ill of the dead, I can understand why he was caught so many times as he definitely doesn't look the sharpest tool in the shed!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  (A distant relative I might add....  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D).

I actually looked through the whole album and I must say, there are some mugshots of people in there you would NOT want to meet in a dark alley...including some women!  :o

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't spotted it and there might be a chance your lusty gun firer had his photo taken as well.

If any one has a look at the photos, does anyone know why they where photographed with their hands in that position?  ???

I've also just noticed that you have some names from Dorset that I also have so maybe my poacher and your lusty gun firer are connected some how, wouldn't that be a turn up for the books!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 02:18 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lydart

I've been meaning to get back to this post, but as usual get side tracked with the photo restore board.  Anyway, thought I'd add a postscript as I couldn't believe my luck when I found that in the Dorset Criminal Registers on Ancestry, there is an actual photo album of mugshots available for searching and as luck would have it, I found a photo of my "poacher".  :o  Without wanting to speak ill of the dead, I can understand why he was caught so many times as he definitely doesn't look the sharpest tool in the shed!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  (A distant relative I might add....  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D).

I actually looked through the whole album and I must say, there are some mugshots of people in there you would NOT want to meet in a dark alley...including some women!  :o

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't spotted it and there might be a chance your lusty gun firer had his photo taken as well.

If any one has a look at the photos, does anyone know why they where photographed with their hands in that position?  ???

I've also just noticed that you have some names from Dorset that I also have so maybe my poacher and your lusty gun firer are connected some how, wouldn't that be a turn up for the books!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Caroline

Well that would be something wouldn't it ....  :-X 

Stranger things have happened :o ... Good Grief Caz ...  Now THAT would be spooky ...( having met both these lovely Rootschatters  I suspect ancestors  from both parties could have talked the hind legs off donkeys as well as charming birds from the trees) .... If that happened I 'd treat you both to lunch at the Savoy !!
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 02:32 GMT (UK) »
They certainly have Poll, that's for sure.  :o

With the number of children each of my relatives had, I'm quite convinced that I'm related to every person from Dorset!  :o :o :o   Not that I mind, certainly is a beautiful part of the world, least it was last time I was there!

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Other half's sister married a man from Dorset and still lives there ...so  you never know ....what are the chances eh? :o ;D ;D It could be a very small world indeed! ;D ;D
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Very sad story of the poor girl and her dead baby and it isn't hard to imagine the terror the poor girl was in; she might not even have realised she was pregnant.

I must say, I hadn't realised about all the criminal records on Ancestry.  I have just been having a quick dip into them and have already found one of mine, a woman , convicted of bigamy and a couple of cases of larceny.  Looks like trawling through those is going to keep me quiet for a while so thanks for drawing them to my attention everyone!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Tragic isn't it.  I just can't comprehend what it must of been like for these poor girls. 

Once I got started on those criminal records and the amazing detail some of the Dorset records have including full physical descriptions, distinguishing marks etc I was hooked and didn't get to bed until 4.30am!!!

Happy to help any one that doesn't have access, just pm me.

Caroline

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I wish I had more time to look at those records but have to go out, what a shame.  I have a sneaking feeling that some of my 'disappeared' might well turn up in those records.  From a cursory glance, there seem to be an awful lot of Suffolk Pearles amongst them, and the northern Sedgwicks also seem to be well represented ....
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »

Bets(e)y Christopher was acquitted of murder, but found guilty of concealing
a birth for which two years with hard labour was the maximum penalty (s.14
Offences against the Person Act 1828), so definitely not a light sentence.

It's my guess that the judge disagreed with the jury.

The other girl whose child was poisoned with arsenic, was also acquitted of
murder but got one year for concealing the birth.

Is it possible that in these times, juries were sensitive to the often
desperate plight of the people brought before them?

vv.