Author Topic: Help with deciphering crime please  (Read 3747 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering crime please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I know, so tragic and so unfair.    :(
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there's a report in the North Devon Journal of 27 Feb 1845 (perhaps that's what you've found).

Sad and shocking, but not all that uncommon at the time - hence (perhaps) the relatively lenient sentence.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Actually I'm looking at the new criminal registers that have been published on Ancestry...absolutely fascinating!

I think you must be right about the sentence.  As I said, theirs another girl listed and she only received 1 year for the same crime.   

Are you able to tell me what it says in the Journal at all?
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
If this is "my" Betsey, then she married two years after being released and went on to have 9 children.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
North Devon Journal: Thursday 27 February 1845

Poole: Within the past week a most revolting case of child murder has occurred in this neighbourhood. The particulars are as follow:-

On Thursday morning last a female servant named Christopher, who has been living for about a week or ten days at Mr Charles Collins's, was suddenly taken ill, and having gone to the back of the premises for a little while, she returned and went up stairs to bed.  Her appearance during the time she had lived in the family having been such as to cause considerable suspicion, a strict search was made about the premises; on searching in the privy, the body of a newly-born infant was found lying in the soil, with its throat cut in a very shocking manner.  A coroner's inquest was held on the body at the "King William IV" at Parkstone, and adjourned to the next day, to afford time for additional evidence.  On Friday the jury met again at the Guildhall, in this town, and the matter having been duly investigated, a verdict of "Wilful Murder" was declared against Betsey Christopher.  On Saturday the unhappy young woman was lodged in the borough gaol, preparatory to her removal to Dorchester.

Death, Mar qtr 1845: Female CHRISTOPHER, Poole 8 55
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Did you find that via Ancestry ?     If so, I must look further re my ancestors !!

Its an horrific case, but I suspect not very uncommon in those days.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh my lord! Just gets worse!

Thank you so much for this even though it's extremely gruesome, it's certainly a talking point.

Just have to confirm that she's the right Betsy as I've just found another Betsey born 1827 but she died aged 24 in 1851.

The Betsy I have that married, was born about 1827/1828.  Never easy is it.

Thanks again!  Much appreciated!

Caroline

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lydart

I found the original stuff on Ancestry.  They have Admission and Discharge Registers for Dorset 1782 - 1901 and also England & Wales Criminal Registers 1791 - 1892.

Fascinating!

Caroline

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 March 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Excellent !    I'll be searching it for my convict !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk