Author Topic: Court of Chancery records  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court of Chancery records
« on: Friday 08 March 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Michael CUFF, originally of Forthill, Co. Mayo owned a slave plantation estate in Emmaus, Jamaica and died in Jamaica around 1828. His sons then returned to England and to Ireland. There was subsequently an attempt to make a claim against his estate which led to a case in the Court of Chancery, in England, which may have been heard around 1836. Would anyone know whether papers from such a court case would still survive, and if so where they might be held?
Elwyn

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court of Chancery records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn
I have just come across an e-book containing minutes of cases heard in the chancery courts 1836-1837. By Ross Donnelly, its called Great Britain Court of Chancery Cases Vol 1/2 1836-1837

I couldn't find anything. Do you have any idea of the name of the case?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Debglaze,

I have a reference to a document dated 9.9.1835 from James French (High St, Galway) apparently to the Court of Chancery (in London) in which he says he is an executor of Michael Cuff’s will and that “I understand some of the late Mr Cuff’s relatives have preferred claims or counterclaims for compensation. My wife, and her mother, who was aunt to the late Mr. Cuff, had good reasons to expect legacies under the will, and although I have made repeated applications to the parties for a copy of said will, or some information on the subject they have always declined complying with my wishes. May I therefore have copies of claims/counterclaims?”

There was subsequently a letter from the Court of Chancery to James French stating it is too late for a counterclaim.

I am not entirely sure I understand everything that was going on here but the essence of it seems to be that there was a dispute over the late Michael Cuff’s estate which, by 1836, had resulted in a case in Chancery. I realise that the case may have been settled out of court but I’d like to find out what papers exist, if any.

Claimants appear to have been John Cuff (a son), Sir Francis Mollineux Ommaney and Pascoe St Ledger Grenfell (both at one time Members of Parliament for constituencies in Cornwall). So I assume the case would be them v the reps of Michael Cuff, or something like that.

The source of my information about the case is the UCL Legacies of British Slave ownership site. T71/1593. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/

Elwyn
Elwyn