Author Topic: GRONI records to On-line November 2013  (Read 28078 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: GRONI records to On-line November 2013
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
just one word - terrible!!!!

I have been waiting a long time for this .
I have dates , I have where they have died - I wanted to get all my deaths ( know where they happened and when)

I give up - it is horrible, very cold and annoying ( I get -  The Email field is not a valid e-mail address -umm yes it is!!!!) I give up - I'll come back when they sort the glitches out .

What a  big disappointment.
It could be so much better.

Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, Cell. One thing to check, when you were putting in your email address then a password, the cursor didn't by chance 'jump' back to the email box and you inadvertently added part of your password to the email without realising, thus invalidating the email?

Another thought for those following the thread, on the 'Error Page' issue some of us have had, it would be good if GRONI would indicate on their website what their expected/aimed for response timetable is to various types of contact queries. There is nothing worse than keeping a customer in the dark as to when they should expect a reply. Given that my email to them about the 'Error' matter was sent on Monday and has had no reply as yet, whilst others emailed later in week and have had replies, there seems little sense of order as to how they are prioritising dealing with emails.

Whilst I appreciate it is their first week and with such issues as the 'Error page' they will no doubt be inundated, they do need to be seen to be dealing with queries in a proper order/priority to help instill confidence. As others have said, a message on their website to the effect that there has been a known issue would help alleviate many concerns and perhaps reduce some of the emails they are no doubt receiving, especially given the limit of 72hrs they have imposed on users and the fact that we have already paid up-front for the service. It is not ideal that some people are learning only 'by word of mouth' what is happening/going to happen.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
This is a huge step forward for anyone researching in Northern Ireland. Having said that, I can see why people are getting annoyed with it.

If you don't know the exact address the search page isn't exactly obvious the first time you look for it; they aren't exactly shouting about it from the rooftops of Belfast!

I can also understand the complaint about not being able to save the image that you have just paid for. A tip for anyone who wants to save an image- take a photo of it with your phone or camera.

I bought £10 worth of credits and used it to buy death cert images. I don't think I would have bought these certs the normal way.

If you consider the position we were in before then this is a great improvement albeit not exactly user friendly!

Cell, keep at it because it will be worth it at the end of the day.

Tony

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
I think it's great to find dates of births and deaths in the index, also the mother's maiden name for all births - all under the free search.  Wish the GRO had the same.....

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 03 April 14 18:10 BST (UK) »

My version of GRONI's school report card would probably read "could do better".

Yes, a material step forward from the offline certificate service, but the online experience is ultimately redolent of 'unfulfilled potential'.

I don't wish to be churlish, so I give it a conditional 'thumbs-up', with the hope that GRONI respond to feedback.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 03 April 14 18:15 BST (UK) »

My version of GRONI's school report card would probably read "could do better".

...but the online experience is ultimately redolent of 'unfulfilled potential'.

;D

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 04 April 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Well, Friday is now here and for whatever reason, I've still had no response from GRONI to my polite x 2 emails of Monday and Wednesday enquiring about the 'Stored Searches - Error Page' issues.

The '72hrs viewing time limit' has now been and gone on my 'Website' searches and 'Full View' searches that were returning the 'Error Page' messages, and therefore they are no longer appearing on my stored searches page. So, am left wondering, should the 'Error Page' issues actually be fixed today, as indicated in responses some folks received from GRONI, will the 'Website' searches and 'Full View' searches that were affected by the problem then re-appear on my Stored Searches page for a fresh 72hrs?

Would be nice to not have to wonder and not have to keep logging in to see if there has been any development.

Offline twitter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 04 April 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
Morning Scotmum
My email from GRONI was from an Alistair Butler and the return address was
You could try an email to him directly, maybe it would work.
Hope this helps
Twitter
scotland-sinclair, woodburn, crozier, shearer
ireland- kildare-murphy
northern ireland-giffen

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 04 April 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Morning Scotmum
My email from GRONI was from an Alistair Butler and the return address was
www.nidirect.gov.uk
You could try an email to him directly, maybe it would work.
Hope this helps
Twitter

My understanding is that Alistair Butler is in charge of the whole project, so at least you are in touch with the top man.
Elwyn