Author Topic: Andertons Heskin, Eccleston  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Andertons Heskin, Eccleston
« on: Monday 06 June 05 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for information on the origins and date and location of death of William Anderton.  He m. Ellen Fazakerly Feb 4 1805 in St Marys Eccleston Parish, Lancashire. 

They had seven children ELizabeth, Kitty, William, Hugh, Edward, Henry, John.

Thanks
KESTON.
- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- McDowell - Raloo, Antrim; Garthland, Galloway; Drury, Maketu, NZ
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Bell - Fermanagh, Ireland; Papakura, NZ
- Hanna - Tyrone, Ireland & West Coast NZ
- Burns, Johnston(e), King and Moffat - Peebles, Traquair, Selkirk, Scotland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Andertons Heskin, Eccleston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 12:12 BST (UK) »
There seem to be quite a few Andertons farming in the Eccleston-Mawdesley-Heskin area. At least two of them are called Roger.
In 1861 at Sid Brook Lane, Mawdesley:-
William Anderton, Head, mar, 73, Farmer of 70 acres, b Mawdesley. But he's married to Ann, and none of the children match up.

So look for the children:-

There's a William Anderton, 50 at Bank Head, Walton-le-Dale, farming 12 acres.

There's a Hugh Anderton, 50 at Back Lane (now Brindle Road) Walton-le-Dale in 1861, farming 10 acres. Bank Head Lane and Brindle Road join up near the M61.

Edward Anderton, 47 is apparently at 11 Gladstone St, Preston.

Can't see Henry or John at first glance.

Since at least two sons ended up at Walton-le-Dale, did William senior go there too? His death might be mentioned at either St Leonard's or St Saviour's records if he was CofE, St Mary's Bamber Bridge if RC.

Have I got the right family?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
This is the right family.  My information is that the sons of William and Ellen Anderton were as follows:

- William Anderton m. Sarah Tunstall, and as you say living at Bank Head Lane in 1861, later d. Jan 10 1881 and buried in St saviours
- Hgh Anderton m. Jane- I did nto have his 1861 address but was later at 80 Bank Head Lane in 1871, and then Houghton Lane Bamber Bridge 1881, d. March Quarter 1884 as per BMD records at 1837online.  I don't have a burial ref for him at St Saviours
- Henry Anderton (my GGG Grandfather) m. Margaret Wilson, living in Back Lane Bamber Bridge 1841, d. 1855 Bamber Bridge and buried in St Saviours with no headstone
-  Edward m. Mary and listed at another address in Preston in 1871
- John - I think was living in Upholland in 1871 and was a Farm Labourer unmarried, I think he died in June Quarter 1874.

I have not found the Father William or Mother Ellen buried in Eccleston or on any Eccleston censuses or at St Saviours Bamber Bridge, but will look as you suggest in St Leonards.  In terms of going backwards, the trouble is as you say, there seem to be a number of Williams born in the Eccleston / Mawdesley area and it is difficult to conclusively tie this William to any of them.

Thanks
KESTON.
- Anderton - Walton le Dale & Heskin / Eccleston / Croston / Bispham Green areas Lancashire; Bombay NZ
- Smith - Harworth, Nottinghamshire; Ashton under Lyne, Shaw, Lancashire; Cape Colony, Natal, South Africa
- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 16:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, Mawdesley seems to be full of Andertons. A Roger Anderton married into a branch of my tree, so I checked him out in the censuses. He turned out to be the son of a Roger Anderton in Syd Brook Lane, and moved back there presumably when he inherited. Next door was ANOTHER Roger Anderton!

St Saviours Bamber Bridge only opened in the 1830s, so St Leonards Walton-le-Dale may be a good bet for the records. Even after the new place opened, from that end of town St Leonards may have been a bit nearer.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Keston

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 05 15:22 BST (UK) »
All these Andertons in Mawdesley seem to me to be descended from a William Anderton and Ann Calderbank, m. 1748 in Standish who had issue of William 1748, Ellen 1752, Roger 1753 and Martha 1756

Roger m. Betty Blackburn 1779 in Standish and had issue Ann 1780, Ellen 1782, Elizabeth 1784, Alice 1785, William 1788, Martha 1790, Roget 1792, Oliver 1802

William m. Ann Sargent 1806 in Croston and had issue of Roger 1817 (Roger Sen in censuses), Betty 1819, William, 1821, Ellen 1825, John 1830, Ann 1835, Jane 1839.  This is where I pick up William and Ann in the 1861 census

Roger had issue Ann 1840, Betty 1843, Ellen 1846, Jane 1848, Rodger 1850 and William 1857, the last few being born in Heskin

I assume that this is your Roger who m. a Mary and spent some time in Heskin before moving back to take over his Father's farm?

I think that the Roger living next door is the son of Oliver Anderton b 1802 above and Jane Sargent, but could be wrong on this.

This seems to be a huge family of Andertons who in the latter generations seemed to live between Mawdesley and Heskin.  Unfortuntately I can't see where my William would fit in!   The only place where this could be is as son of the William born in 1748, son of William and Ann Calderbank.  There is also a largish family centred on Wrightinton, descended from a Thomas and Rebecca Anderton which I can't yet link to.  Here's hoping that with an age at death from St Leonards things will be become clearer!

KESTON.

- Hall - Cavan, Ireland
- Rugg - Kumara, NZ
- Dick

Offline Kevmeister

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 24 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm a descendant of these Anderton's. My 3rd great grandmother was called Elizabeth Anderton, she was born 1819 in Heskin, her parents were William Anderton & Ann Sargeant

Regards
Kevin Eccles