Author Topic: 1851 census for James Mumford, please?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census for James Mumford, please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 March 13 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi CarolW,

Missed/overlooked it, no worries it kept me occupied for a while  ;D

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 March 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I've spent the weekend, looking through my paperwork we've collected about James Mumford (and one of his daughters) and I have been typing snippets of information in chronological order.  My head is almost spinning, with all of the details.

I notice that there was a George Patmore living in the 1851 household findem provided.

James Mumford's wife was Martha Grange.  One of the witnesses to their marriage was William Patmore.
We believe Martha's mother was Sarah Grange.  In 1841, Sarah Grange was living with William Patmore and his family (I believe in Hatfield).

I wonder if there is some distant connection with the 1851 Mumford and Patmore?  Seems pretty coincidental that a James Mumford was in the same household as a Patmore.  Perhaps this James was a cousin to my James?  ???

I am sharing my computer with my son and he has to use it.  I will be back later tonight.

Thank you both for your efforts.  I really appreciate it.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 March 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Having read again this topic, if I were a betting man my money would be on the James Mumford working for William Parris as being the James Mumford you're looking for but then again I've been wrong before  ;D

There are two Hatfields none too far from Stansted, Hatfield Broad Oak and Hatfield Heath, I had some communications with the Rector of Takeley once regarding ancestors in his Takeley online transcripts, he advised that people in the Takeley and HBO areas tend to refer to HBO as simply Hatfield.

I'm wondering if the above James Mumford was actually born in HBO or was he born in Stansted but baptised in HBO and lived there.

Another thought is that perhaps George and James were out at the local, downing a pint or two, on the night of the Census and William Parris gave James's details to the Census enumerator, giving the birthplace of James as Stansted.

Regards.

PS Perhaps the Parris and Mumford families were known to each other either through HBO connections or perhaps through work relationships, possibly James got a job with William Parris through those connections. 

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 March 13 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not acknowledging your reply and help.

It is good to hear that the "locals" referred to Hatfield Broad Oak as Hatfield!  Thank you for passing that information along.

According to his burial information, he was born in Hatfield.  There was a James Mumford baptised in HBO in January 1827, and I believe that man is my ancestor.

I will try various internet searches to see if I can link Parris, Patmore and Mumford.  Thank you again for your help!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)