Author Topic: David Jenkins  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Jenkins
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
John Ivor Jenkins became a minister. Served in  Cardiff and Wrexham.

The letter with dates.

Translator realises scrawled signature is the brother who "died young". James not David.  He did not die young he just disappeared.

Apparently my mamgu managed to find him in Canada añd this letter is to her in response.  He must have gone to Canada's before 1915 and the family had not seen him since his departure.

Letter dated 20/21 October 1938.  Christy street hospital Toronto Canada.

Joined army in Canada 1915/1919. Repatriated to Canada stretcher case typhoid and enteric fever 1919. Had thought of nipping down to Wales to see the folks but I'll health prevented that.

After war owned a factory in Canada  which sold in 1927 taking up a position in civil service.

1938 fever returned and he was in respite care in above named hospital.

Every care being taken of him. Including going up in elevator for sun bath every afternoon.

Had superannuation aged 63.

Owned a comfortable flat, in block with restaurant and employed part timer maid to serve breakfast and  do housework."

So he got on with his life with little thought for family.

Well we have James but lost David after Ealing grocers in 1911.

One wonders if he went to see brother James in Canada but James does not mention him.,,.........

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 October 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
When is the last sighting of James on UK Census ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could this be James' Attestation Paper? 

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=492588

Both the front and back of this form are accessible from this link.

Library and Archives Canada is currently digitizing all WW1 service records... so, eventually, you will be able to see James' record.  I think you can still choose to purchase a record now (if you don't want to wait). 

If this is your James, then he was born in 1885. 

Christie Street Hospital was a veterans hospital. 
http://torontoplaques.com/Pages/Site_of_the_Christie_Street.html

I found an obituary in the Toronto Star for a James Jenkins... NO idea if this is your man.  There is no age listed, and no mention of being born in Wales.  But, just in case, I will give you the details.   He died Oct 31 1947 at Divadale Hospital, Toronto.  Formerly of Springhurst Ave.  Husband of the late Margaret Mary Richards (it is possible that your James married.... I will see if I can find Margaret's obit.).  He is buried in the Veteran's Section of Prospect Cemetery.

The name is right, so is the fact that he is in a military section of the cemetery.  Also, if he is yours, he would have been about 62.  I would consider this "young".  If we could find the year of birth for this James, it would help to rule him either in or out...

RK

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
To

Yes this is my James.

His father was John Jenkins.
His brother was the reverend John Ivor Jenkins. Listed as next of kin. Swansea is likely.  I had heard from John Ivor's grandson that he minister in Cardiff and Wrexham.

Many thanks.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
When is the last sighting of James on UK Census ?

Sandra

I had not followed james at all. With him dying young! Not.

So have no information. :(

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Divadale Hospital was a home that was converted to a veterans hospital in 1943.... for WW2 vets.  So, I wonder if the James Jenkins obit that I found is for a much younger man??  HMMM.

RK

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 October 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Found James in rhosmaen street llandeilo. Drapers apprentice. 1891 census. Age 15. It was nearest market town to his home village. Same parish of llandeilo fawr.

Shall now try following his further adventures but only have sketchy help from free search census site.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 October 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
No joy in chosen site for 1901 but seem to remember he became a travelling salesman.

Another site. No sign of him in Wales 1901

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 October 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Interesting "Drapers Apprentice" - Canadian Passenger List for James Jenkins - born 1876 - Wales - travelling Avonmouth England to Halfax Nova Scotia arriving 17 January 1912 - occupation draper - going to Toronto.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada