Author Topic: Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.  (Read 5848 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
I believe the wrong Martha Graham birth has been identified above.  I think the correct one is the 1792 Mar 11 baptism at Whitby - birth 1791 Dec 29 - parents James Graham (occupation: roper) and Mary.
- This matches the 1841 census where Thomas Parker (occupation: keelman) is seen with children Mary, Ann and Thomas at White House, Cowpen, while Martha and daughter Isabella are simultaneously seen with James Graham (age 80) at Coatham Mundeville.  (James Graham died in 1842 and Mary Graham in 1841, both near Coatham Mundeville - Mary was buried in June so I'm not sure where she was at census time.)
- The 1791 birthdate is also an ever-so-slightly closer match for Martha's various census ages (56 in 1851, 66 in 1861, 78 in 1871) than 1796 is.

By the way, note that there seems to have been a Thomas George Parker (brother of Isabella) born 1829 who must have died in infancy as his younger brother is also called Thomas.

The maternal line then goes back to:

- Mary (above-mentioned Mary Graham) born 1762 May 23 at East Row near Whitby (now part of Sandsend village), daughter of Peter Stonehouse (occupation: brewer) and Ann;
- Ann baptised 1733 Nov 04 (also of East Row), daughter of William Linton (occupation: labourer) and Mary Saunderson;
- there are then several baby Marys to choose from so I haven't been able to go back further with certainty.

The above is consistent with marriage records I've seen as well.

Of course, do feel welcome to dispute this version, if I am wrong then I would like to know about it!
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi brooksburns & patrexjax,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated. My apologies for the non response until now, this due to my taking a break/hiatus from family research for a while, but happily back now!

brooksburns, Many thanks indeed for the replies and info contained therein, much appreciated. I think that you are right, we are indeed almost certainly related, your Ann Brooks nee' Parker being my Isabella's sister. I had never been able to reliably find Martha & Isabella in 1841, therefore I had not known that Martha was with her parents at the time. Neither for some reason had I ever found Ann Parker's marriage to Elijah Brooks! Having had a look, I think that you are right as regards the correct Graham line, with the Stonehouse, Linton & Saunderson lines coming in to the Graham family. My thanks again, much appreciated.

patrexjax, many thanks for you reply concerning Elijah Brooks ancestry, much appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)