Author Topic: **Given up my search for birth/death records**Thanks to all who tried to help**  (Read 3025 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a gut feeling that my great grandparents must have had more than three children, but the problem is - how could I find out.

On the 1911 census, other entries state how many years a woman had been married, how many children she had given birth to, and how many children were still alive.
This particular column relating to my great grandmother is blank - perhaps because she was widowed  ???

My great grandparents married in 1874, and their three children were born in 1875, 1880 and 1881.
I would imagine that there could have been births / deaths between 1875 and 1880.

I realise that I could trawl through ScotlandsPeople, but this would cost a fortune as the surname I am looking for is Mckenzie.

Are these records held anywhere that I could spend time looking through?

I had this same query a while ago for a different relative in Lanark-Shire, and some very kind person from this forum actually found a birth / death record for me.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Search for birth / death records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi heilanlassie, can you give your gt grandparents names.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoras  :)

I think there was an earlier thread before the 1911 came out - gives their names, anyway

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,496078.0.html

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Births turn up 5 pages on SP but I tried deaths with both surnames M*cKenzie and born 1878 +/- 2. Only 2 come up - both 1877, for Margaret Mackenzie/McKenzie aged 0. 

Hope that helps.  It's worth look at!

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoras  :)

I think there was an earlier thread before the 1911 came out - gives their names, anyway

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,496078.0.html

brevitas

Ah, thanks Brevitas.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Births turn up 5 pages on SP but I tried deaths with both surnames M*cKenzie and born 1878 +/- 2. Only 2 come up - both 1877, for Margaret Mackenzie/McKenzie aged 0. 

Hope that helps.  It's worth look at!

brevitas

Just checked - neither of the 2 Margarets were born to Duncan and Christin*.

So.... I'd say that they probably didn't have any live births in the time frame that you're looking at. Still births/miscarriages aren't recorded.

brevitas

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
My thanks to both Brevitas and Seoras.

I guess that if Duncan and Christina did have any other children, they must have been still born.

I shall have to put this idea to bed now.

Thanks again.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.