Author Topic: Ashfield & Drumgoon  (Read 4901 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ashfield & Drumgoon
« on: Monday 11 March 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
What is the relationship between Ashfield, Drumgoon, and Cootehill all in County Cavan. Is one a street? are they districts? parishes? As I live in Scotland I'm a bit puzzled

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ashfield & Drumgoon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
cant see a place named an Ashfield in Co. Cavan at the moment - what's the original source of this ?

Drumgoon is the name of both a townland, and a civil parish, and are part of the poor law union of Cootehill. Cootehill is also the name of the town where the poor law union was based. The same poor law unions were later used as registration districts for civil records.

After provinces (4 of these), Counties are the largest division of land and decreasing in size we have baronies, civil parishes and Townlands, which are the smallest subdivision of land. Also in the mix are Electoral districts, Poor Law Unions and RC parishes.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Ashfield seems to be an alternate name for the CofI parish of Kildrumsherdan, which is on North Co. Cavan and on the Monaghan border.

p.s. Drumgoon civil parish is just east of Kildrumsherdan civil parish.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanew, I got the information from the parish relief records in the Mitchell library in Glasgow, dated 23 January 1903. In the initial application Peter McGee's place of birth is given as "Ashfield Co Cavan", next day when the assistant goes to check the facts his birth place is given as "Parish of Drumgoon, Cootehill, Co Cavan". The marriage is down as "29 years ago, Drumgoon, Co Cavan," which would make it around 1874

Peter was admitted to Govan Poor House & died there 13 March 1903. On the application he is the son of Bernard McGee & Judith or Susan McCabe - her first name changes between the initial application and the follow up

His wife Mary Murtagh or Murdoch is shewn as the daughter of Andrew Murtagh, a tailor, & Catherine Hagan.The 1881 census has her at 28, giving a dob of around 1853. She also was admitted to the Poor House, in March 1903, dying there in February 1913

If you can tell me where I could look on line for more information on this branch of my tree I'd be very grateful.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm presuming from the parish names that this family were church of Ireland denomination ?

Drumgoon and Ashfield/Kildrumsherdan are two separate parishes.

There are some baptism transcripts from an LDS film of the registers for the parish at this RootsWeb link  : Ashfield Parish, Co. Cavan Baptismal Register (1821 - 1864)

More transcripts here (including some baptisms for Drumgoon) :

Do you have an estimated year of birth for Peter ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
No, they are shewn as Roman Catholic

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn't read all your message. From the Poor Relief , his age in 1903 is so he was born around 1843. The 1881 census has him at 39, giving 1842. He is shewn as the son of Bernard McGee a "kilnman". Both Bernard & his wife are down as deceased in 1903

Peter's wife on the 1881 census is 28, 1854 as a dob

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
No, they are shewn as Roman Catholic

can make a difference to the parish names & boundaries. Drumgoon RC parish follows pretty much the same boundaries as the corresponding civil and CofI parish - baptism and marriage records go back to 1829.

The RC parish to the west of this is named 'Kilsherdany' - which covers the equivalent area to the civil and CofI parish of Kildrumsherdan/Ashfield. Baptism and marriage records for this parish go back to 1803, but there are significant gaps - e.g. between 1815 and 1825 for baptisms, 1843 to 1849 for marriages etc..

Transcripts for some Cavan parish records are available on the pay-website at RootsIreland, but unfortunately they dont list which parishes, dates etc they cover on the their sources page.

Since the marriage appears to be after the start of civil records that might be the place to start the search, as it should help confirm the links and add a few details such as residences of the bride and groom, father's names & occupations, names of two witnesses etc.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
there's a marriage for a Peter and Mary shown in extracted civil records that matches some  of the clues you had - but it's quite a bit earlier than 1874

Groom: Peter Mcghee / single/ age 25   (c1840)
  Bride : Mary Murtagh / single / age 26  (c1839)
  Date:  15 Oct 1865
  Groom' father: Bernard Mcghee
  Bride's Father: John Murtagh
  Ref.: 173

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGDN-PQ1

These are the corresponding BMD Index references in case you want to order a civil cert (These usually show more than the equivilant RC recorsd) :

Name : Mary Murtagh
  Event Type: Marriage
  Year: 1865
  Registration district : Cootehill
  Volume: 18 / Page: 173

a Peter M'Ghee appears with the same references

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert
My Surname Interests