Author Topic: Searching for my elusive Grandad in Merchant Navy 1940s  (Read 7725 times)

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my elusive Grandad in Merchant Navy 1940s
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Wowsers! What have I stumbled upon? Im due at work very soon so only a quick reply for now. As you mentioned about the witness possibly not being his father, under his name in the Fathers name, Frederick Gurr it has script in brackets. I cant make it out but does have an i in the 3rd space then an a. Maybe 6-7 letters long. Sorry thats prob no use at all but who knows?
On a side note I found a Frederick Gurr age 19, Bricklayer Labourer and a William Gurr, his dad, a bricklayer in 1911. Fred was born in Woodfood and thought that could be his Dad? Fred married an Ellen Eliza Taylor in c1923. There is a birth of William Gurr in 1918 by a Taylor but that would screw up his of 29 in 1945.....
But I could be very wrong..
Thanks again for helping out, means much to me and my Mum.

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
hi hope you find him Tyler - or some records -

As for your nan - well back in those days things were  not said and everything was kept quiet - so not your nanas fault thats how they did things  and it probably upset her - but you and your mum are from a more modern generation of course have a right to know.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 March 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Tyler,
I know you are keen to find  details of your Grandad and the all information that you have been given is a little overwhelming but just step back and take a breath. These records have been around for years. Another couple of minutes will make no difference.
I note you and your Mom intend to visit Kew this Saturday. If you have been before, fine. If not take a moment to read these links
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/default.htm
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/readers-ticket.htm
You can order the reference
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C10990640
on the reading room computers on the first floor. You must then go to the enquiry desk and ask for a BT382 form. Tell them you are a new kid on the block and have limited information about your Grandad. They will then go an extra mile  and hopefully turn up trumps and print out the record for you.
At one time you could get all the 60 records in the piece and look for yourself but due to security issues this is no longer possible. Hence the reason for filling out the BT382 form.
Above all enjoy your day out and hopefully find the information you and your Mom are longing for.
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 March 13 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I know, I know, I should take a breath. One in every three weeks I work lates, so have alot of time on my hands during the day, and when i get set on something, be it gardening, model making etc, i'm impulsive and it has to be done there and then, and its all I see untill im done. But I digress, I have read up on the links you kindly posted and hope to see something that will give him away hehe.

P.S. the word on the marriage cert that i could not fathom, (Licenser)? Perhaps? They were married by License at the request of Frederick Gurr (his Dad) due to a) Sarah M Lawe originally coming from Horncastle way out, so not in the parish of Ordsall, East Retford, which St. Albans church was in, and the fact William was from "daarrn saarf", posted at Ranby Camp for whatever reason....

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 March 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Wowsers! What have I stumbled upon? Im due at work very soon so only a quick reply for now. As you mentioned about the witness possibly not being his father, under his name in the Fathers name, Frederick Gurr it has script in brackets. I cant make it out but does have an i in the 3rd space then an a. Maybe 6-7 letters long. Sorry thats prob no use at all but who knows?
On a side note I found a Frederick Gurr age 19, Bricklayer Labourer and a William Gurr, his dad, a bricklayer in 1911. Fred was born in Woodfood and thought that could be his Dad? Fred married an Ellen Eliza Taylor in c1923. There is a birth of William Gurr in 1918 by a Taylor but that would screw up his of 29 in 1945.....
But I could be very wrong..
Thanks again for helping out, means much to me and my Mum.
If Fred and Ellen did not marry until 1923 and this William Gurr was born in 1918 he cannot belong to this couple
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
So we would still err on the side of the William Gurr that Anette has kindly found for me then?

Would couples not of had babies outside of a marriage waaay back then then?

Thank you  ;D

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:52 GMT (UK) »
So we would still err on the side of the William Gurr that Anette has kindly found for me then?

Would couples not of had babies outside of a marriage waaay back then then?

Thank you  ;D
Yes,  but they would be registered in the mothers maiden name
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 March 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the Birth Records for Gurr and Lawe, I have found 6 children, I will not name them as they may  still be living

3 in Uckfield Sussex 1945,1946,1948
1 in St Neots Norfolk 1949
2 in East Retford Notts 1952,1959

If any of these children belong to your family, have you checked  there Birth Certificates, to see what Williams Occupation was at that time
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 March 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you mentioned what you have found so far, to your Nan, as it was many years ago when your Mom approached the subject about William, she may be more forthcoming with more information, does your Mom remember the last time she saw her Dad

Margp
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich