Author Topic: Henry Powning Stark  (Read 17055 times)

Offline 0822193945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Powning Stark
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 14 March 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
A further snippet from "Papers Past", 'Evening Post' dated 28.12.1911 re: New Zealanders of the Transvaal.

Mention is made of Mr. J. P. Stark- Mayor of Springs.

Other items for J. P. Stark at this website.

Springs at the time of John P Stark being mayor was one of the major gold mining areas outside Johannesburg. At the time a rapidly expanding mining area that was promoted as having a greater industrial future that Johannesburg (but didn't happen that way!) Thanks Minnihaha ;D

Minniehaha.  :)

Offline 0822193945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 14 March 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just thought I would throw this into the mix-

From "Papers Past"- 'Auckland Star', dated 5.8.1897:

THAMES NEWS

Mr. H. P. Stark for many years assayer at the Bank of New South Wales, leaves here for Greymouth, where he will remain for a month and afterwards proceed to a branch in Western Australia.

Because of the initials, & the Thames and Australian connection, maybe he is related to Henry Powning Stark??

Minniehaha.

Confusing! No idea where this HP Stark comes from 'our' Henry Powning had died on 5 July 1870. Wonder if this could be the Henry Stark who arrived aboard the 'Sirocco' on 24 August 1854 (aged 24) in Melbourne having departed Liverpool and who I mistakenly thought was Henry Powning Stark? ??? 

Offline 0822193945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 14 March 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Just looking again at the photo of the YOUNG headstone (Temuka Cemetery) > link given in earlier post.

It records also the death of "Ann STARK" - aged just 9 years, on 26 May 1879.   :'(

Searching the online death index (NZ BDM) I can see no "Ann STARK" 1879 or thereabouts ... but there is the following death :

1879 - STARK - Isabella - aged 9 years

[The date of death for Isabella - deduced from the online index - is 27 May 1879. ]

It would seem to me that Ann STARK (9 years) and Isabella STARK (9 years) - died 26 / 27 May 1879, are one and the same.      And my guess is that this child was the daughter of Henry P. and Emma STARK - shown on the NZ birth index (1870) as Isabella Ann Powning STARK.
  ~  Lu

;D Thanks Lu - think you are dead right - one and the same. great  ;)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 14 March 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Lucy, Ethel May ALLAN (divorced 1902) may have married again in 1903 to Alexander HENDERSON.

NZ BDM index.

Minniehaha.

Cheers, Minnie.   :)   I think you're right.   ;)   

I've already checked out this couple, they seem to have been at Timaru for a time.   (Also stumbled across one of their daughters who'd married into an un-related YOUNG family.  :D )

The husband Alexander, appears to have been an undertaker - his wife was widowed by 1946.
But death listings for an Ethel / Ethel May, don't stack up  ... no obvious re-marriage ... can't find them on cemetery records.   [  Grrr !   ]
I'll take another look for them when time permits.

~  Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 14 March 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

I would agree that there is nothing obvious in the death index which matches Ethel May.

There is an item in "Papers Past" from the Ashburton Guardian' dated 19.3.1920 headed 'MAGISTERIAL' which links Alexander (undertaker) and 'his wife Ethel'.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 15 March 13 03:58 GMT (UK) »
From the NZ BMD index, these children could be those born to Ethel May (formerly ALLAN) & Alexander HENDERSON.

1903, Bernard Alfred Theodore.
1905, Anita Eileen Allan.
1907, Mura Nui Tana.
1909, William Allan.
1911, Elizabeth Smith.
1913, Alexander.

If the correct family, I am a little puzzled however by the inclusion of the name of Allan as a Christian name, this being the name of Ethel's former husband from whom she was divorced.

Minniehaha.

Offline 0822193945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 16 March 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
From the NZ BMD index, these children could be those born to Ethel May (formerly ALLAN) & Alexander HENDERSON.

1903, Bernard Alfred Theodore.
1905, Anita Eileen Allan.
1907, Mura Nui Tana.
1909, William Allan.
1911, Elizabeth Smith.
1913, Alexander.

If the correct family, I am a little puzzled however by the inclusion of the name of Allan as a Christian name, this being the name of Ethel's former husband from whom she was divorced.

Minniehaha.

If Lucy or Minniehaha feel like a life change - they would make any police force proud as 'investigative pathologists' - thanks both for all input on Henry Powning Stark. :) Clarification realised on a number of family issues. Family lore had it that there were always some blood relatives in NZ of HP Stark. However the only sibling was sister Isabella Ann who died at the age of nine- final. The pic in my possession probably taken around 1930/40 and captioned 'John Stark's mother and step sisters' with the names 'Gertrude', 'Mother', 'Lillian' and 'myself' is I am sure of Emma Caroline Margaret (Lindsay) (1885 - 1945) who married Charles Robinson. As you found her daughters were Lillian Maude (1876), Gertrude Robinson (1878)"myself" either Constance (1882) or Mildred Daphne (1884). My wife's mother corresponded with a Lillian Begbie (Bigbie/Begby). I think Lillian Robinson and Lillian 'Begbie' could be one and the same. Your thoughts? thanks for all ;D Mike  Oops having looked again at the dates - now think I am wrong - perhaps I'l have an early night ???

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 01 April 13 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

To be honest I have not looked at these threads for a couple of weeks so have lost the story somewhat, but looking at the last post with comments about Lillian Maude b. 1876, I have found the following:

Lillian Maude ROBINSON married James Atkinson FRYER, 1899.

Death of Lillian Maude FRYER 1943, aged 67 therefore Y.O.B. about 1876.

No trace of a Lillian Maude Begbie/Bigbie.

Offline Sally_404

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:25 BST (UK) »
 I came across this thread while investigating my Fryer/Robinson connections and thought you might like this photo of Emma Pudney - taken at Timaru.
England: Ambrose―Devon & Cornwall; Starkey, Pike & Tuck―Essex; Fryer, Atkinson & Wigglesworth―Yorks; Cockshutt & Walker―Lancs; Thorley & Gee―Cheshire; Hodson, Tuck & Haines―Cambs/Hunts; Goodwin & Tuck ―Herts

Scotland: Finlayson, Harvey & Connell―Glasgow; Anderson―Edinburgh; Craig ―Blantyre; Hamilton―Avondale; Gillies―Berwickshire; Gardiner―Crieff.

Ireland: Frayne & Boardman―Wexford; McGoogan & Butler―Co Antrim; Babe―Co Down; Finnegan― Co Armagh.

South Africa: Lesar, Herman, Fick & Sterrenberg