Author Topic: Ann Elizabeth Tuggy  (Read 2731 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Elizabeth Tuggy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
OK, so to summarise this seems to be her from marriage onwards:

1866 (Jun qtr): Ann E Tuggy marries Edward Smith, Reading
1871 (census): Anna Smith, 29 b Tilehurst
1881 (census): Elizth. Smith, 41 b Reading
1891 (census): Hannah Smith, 48 b Reading
1901 (census): Hannah Smith, 60 b Reading
1911 (census): Hannah Smith, 70, in Wokingham district (from free index)
1914 (Sep qtr): Hannah E Smith, 72, dies in Wokingham
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thats it.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Well,I think you've got the right person.

By the way-Catherine Sarah Herbert married Henry Clark  not Adam Bosley.

Maureen

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks for that Maureen. That certainly helps me with Emma Bosley.
Melfordgal :)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
There is some real confusion here.

I have Adam Boseley and Sarah Tuggey as twigs on my tree. He was born 1817 Bucklebury and she was born 1815 Tilehurst
Daughter Hannah has always proved something of a mystery - which I may perhaps be able now to solve. According to another correspondent of mine who has the marriage cert, there are corrections that have been made to the latter. She said
" 15.1.1842 at the Kings Chapel, Reading.  Adam's father is recorded as Jonathan (which is correct). I think the confusion lies in the fact that there appears to be an error on the original certificate.  Where it says "This marriage was solomonized between us" (and someone else has filled in the couples names as William and Sarah could only make their mark); the person has written Adam Boseley and LUCY Tuggey - not Sarah .  Sarah (on the top half of the marriage document) is recorded as being of full age and her father is given as William Tuggey who was a labourer which is correct for Sarah."
I have totally accepted this without seeing the actual cert but having done other research,  and the censuses for this couple definitely follow thru.
Sarah did have a sister, Lucy, so I am thinking that the incumbent muddled a witness name with a bride name when filling in the cert. A look on the actual register entry would be interesting.
Other than Hannah (1851 census) all the other children of Adam and Sarah (including a William were baptised in Tilehurst. Some were married there.
In 1861 Hannah Bosely was with her parents in Tilehurst. Adam was buried  in 1869 and Sarah his wife in 1898. I have never been able to find a marriage for daughter Hannah.

Melfordgirl. What is the connection with an Emma Bosley? If Hannah's sister, then she married James Barnes.
Yours
vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 March 13 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann,
Many thanks for your reply. Very grateful for all info. My only problem now is that there is a birth record for both Hannah Tuggey Mar 1842 Reading & for Hannah Bosley Jun 1842 Bradfield. As Hannah Tuggey's birth certificate says she was born in Nov 1841, the first record must be her. Therefore, how do I account for Hannah Bosley? I can still find no census record of Hannah Tuggey before her marriage.
Yes, Emma Bosley married James Barnes who were the parents of my great grandmother Catherine Sarah Barnes born 1881. She married Arthur Edward Smith, son of Edward Smith & "Ann Elizabeth Tuggy", but listed as Elizabeth Smith formerly Boasley on Arthur's birth certificate.
Any further thoughts welcome??

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 March 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The birth registration for Hannah Bosley Jun qtr 1842 Bradfield may be that of the daughter of Richard and Jane Bosley - shown in 1851 as aged 9 born Bucklebury (which was in Bradfield registration district).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 March 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant avm228! I hadn't noticed that. Many thanks!

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 March 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Melfordgal,
"Ann Elizabeth Tuggy" is a pain in that in the baptisms of her children in Tilehurst and Caversham and on the censuses, she alternates her name from Elizabeth to Hannah to Ann Elizabeth.
As she says on her son's birth cert that she is  Boasley, my interpretation is that she is:-

Births Mar 1842 Tuggey  Hannah Elizabeth     Reading  6 241  illeg  dau of Sarah Boslely b 1815

and took her stepfather Adam Boseley's surname, except on her marriage when she reverted to
her born name of Tuggy.
She definitely suffers from an identity problem.
To add to my deductions
She named one of her children after her sister, Mary Lavinia, and another after sister Catherine, which seems to me to be a little more evidence that my presumptions are right, as is the fact that her nephew living with Edward Smith and Hannah  in 1901 and 1911, (Thomas Swain) is the son of her sister, Mary Lavinia Bosley b 1859 and Thomas Swain.
Those things are too coincidental not to be linked to the Hannah dau of Adam and Sarah Bosley in the 1851 and 1861 censuses.
Arthur Smith 1876  marrying his cousin, Catherine Sarah/Sarah Catherine Barnes just complicates things further, but is actually the key to much of this puzzle.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;