Author Topic: Resource: Welsh Newspapers Online  (Read 13752 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Resource: Welsh Newspapers Online
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Well her census entries for 1861 and 1871 suggest she was 35 or 39 when Henry was born

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Well her census entries for 1861 and 1871 suggest she was 35 or 39 when Henry was born

Haven't found her birth but her age varies quite a bit... 1851 says 30, wedding in 1856 says 30, 1861 says age 39, 1871 age 53, 1881 (63), 1891 (71) and 1901 (84)....
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Just found this - while looking for another William Jones, bankrupted solicitor:

Here is an epitaph on a Mr. Jones, a celebrated bone merchant:- "Here lies the bones of William Jones, Who, when alive, collected bones But Death, that bony, grizzly spectre, That most amazing bone collector. Has boned poor Jones so snug and tidy That here he lies in bona fide."

Aberdare Times 29 December 1866
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:19 BST (UK) »

I`m getting this message from the link to the site. Anyone else have this problem ?
It was OK a few days ago.

Proxy Error
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
 The proxy server could not handle the request GET /en/home.
Reason: Error reading from remote server
~~~~~~~~
Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk Port 80
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
I have been getting similar messages over the weekend, I have put it down to the fact that there was a fire in the roof of the Llyfrgell Genedlaethol on Thursday or Friday

Offline gwynd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
   Same here.  I also thought it might have been the fire.     Gwynd

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-22328647

Oh dear, I hope nothing valuable has been lost .
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
A guess-they had a fire at the NLW,perhaps they have shut down some services.

Regards
Roger

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 02:13 BST (UK) »
Wish I could read Welsh - lots of mentions of great-grandfather in the Welsh language papers.

You can copy and paste the text into go*gle and use translate option - very rough but may give the gist of the text. Or you could ask a kind RCer to help  ;)

I must admit that I am now lazy enough to use an e-translator (I prefer Babelfish to Google) for the languages I can speak, and then brush up the rather iffy output; I've also used it for Spanish to English, using my other languages to bridge any gaps. But my real problem here is that while I can scan 100 hits in English quite quickly, scanning 100 in Welsh would mean so much to-ing and fro-ing that I'm intimidated by the workload! Great-grandfather's name generates several hundred hits, though the workload is reduced by having the same article clearly syndicated to many different titles. And this workload is far too much to ask anyone else to do, when to begin with I'm only trawling for stories.

Don't use Bablefish for Welsh! The only on-line translator that has a large enough corpus to even give a fair guess at Welsh Englsih translation is Google Translate.

If you are having difficulty scanning Welsh Language articles for relevant hits, give details of what you are scanning for on the relevant county board (or at a push the Welsh Language board) I'm sure that a Welsh speaker will be happy to scan for you (as long as you'r not looking for John Jones from Wales).

You would have to seek guidance from the Copyright Editor about the allow-ability of posting translations of articles discovered on the site on Rootschat,