Author Topic: John Barnes c1791 Reading Area  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Barnes c1791 Reading Area
« on: Friday 15 March 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Wondered if anyone can help me with some info on John Barnes, b c 1791 in the Reading Area. He was father to Henry Barnes b 1816 Tilehurst who married Amy Mossman. I believe John was married to a Sarah. Any help with dates & a name for his wife would be gratefully received.
Thanks Melfordgal.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes c1791 Reading Area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melfordgal,

Had a look on the IGI for you and the only wedding I can find is the following
John Barnes married Martha Hains on 4rh March 1811 at Tilehurst
Then when you see Henry christened 7th January 1816 the wife is then Sarah.
Another child of John and Sarah is Elizabeth christened 1st August 1813 both
at Tilehurst.
Just wondered if it was your John and Martha had died it wasnt unusual to
die in childbirth in those days then the man had to find another wife quickly?
As yet havent found a marriage to a Sarah 
I found Henrys marriage to Amey
Henry Barns no (e) married Amey Mossman on 10th May 1845 at Tilehurst, Fathers were
John Barns and Benjamin Mossman

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks sandymc. That confirms my suspicions.
Melfordgal ;)

Online artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Martha was buried at St Michael's Tilehurst on 2 May 1813 aged 26, surname Barns.

When she married John Barnes they were both of that parish.

No record of Martha's baptism.

There is a baptism for a John Barnes s/o William & Susannah on 7 Jan 1786 at St Michael's

William and Susannah had two other sons baptised at St Michael's, Henry on 25 Dec 1783 and Francis on 30 Nov 1788.

There is no marriage for William and Susannah.

A William Barns was baptised on 30 Jan 1749 s/o Thomas & Frances.

No marriage for Thomas and Frances,

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that artifis, that's really helpful. Sarah must have slipped through the records net. Grateful for your help.
Melfordgal.

Online artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 13 11:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a gap between 1808 and 1823 in the banns records at St Michael's so it's not possible to find out where Sarah was from, presumably out of the parish as there's no marriage there for her and John, probably married in her home parish.

The child Elizabeth baptised 1st August 1813 seems very soon after Martha's burial on 2 May 1813 unless Elizabeth was Martha's child - perhaps she died in childbirth  - and Sarah brought her up as her own.

It's possible Sarah was herself a widow and quickly married John to give her financial stability as was often the case at that time.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
The baptisms of John's son, Henry, it says John and Sarah were "of Theale", so it is possible that Sarah came from Englefield, Tidmarsh, Sulham etc. and they were married there. Theale itself at that time was in the Tilehurst Parish.
To add to what other people have said there was also a marriage in 1822 at Tilehurst between a John Barnes and Lucy Johnson who also appear to have had at least one child baptised and married there.
This might be a red herring and he is a different John b 1791 but he seems to be living in Reading in 1841.
A further confusion is that a John Barnes, widow, living with Henry and Amy in 1861 puts his age at 78 (1783) whereas a burial in Tilehurst in 1871  puts his age at 79. (1792).
Also that there are other children of a John Barnes being married at Tilehurst later in the century.
I had presumed at present for the lack of other evidence, that John Barnes was, as Artifis says, son of William and Susannah and that he married 3 times.
More work and certificates needed for this family, methinks.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Online artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 March 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I'd spotted the John Barnes marrying Lucy Johnson as well but I couldn't find any burial for Sarah either in the St Michael's records nor in the Berks burial index but that's edition 7 and I know there are more complete ones available now.

It's an interesting puzzle especially the age at burial unless it's different John Barnes'

Offline Melfordgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 13 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your input. I guess I'll have to keep digging. Any ideas of where I can go from here?
Regards, Melfordgal.