Author Topic: Steamship picture web sites. UPDATED  (Read 4608 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Steamship picture web sites. UPDATED
« on: Friday 15 March 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know of any good sites where I could find photographs of steamships, I have a ancestor who was a master mariner, in 1881 he is the second mate on a ship called the "SS CHINA" and in 1891 he is the Mate on another ship called "SS NAVRRA ROTHERHITHE". these are the 2 vessels I am looking for, I have done the obvious Google search etc but cannot come up with anything.
Regards always.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steamship picture web sites.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 13 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I think that's a US vessel?

Another website I found suggests that the 2 vessels were based in Goole?
http://www.goole-action-group.org.uk/cms/main.php?k=122
3rd entry from the end.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Steamship picture web sites.
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi jo new, many thanks for the link but it is the wrong ship, no worries tho` thankyou for your response.
Hi KGarrad, yes thats the ones, he ended up the captain of the "SS AFRICA" before it was taken over by the admiralty, it then struck a mine in the channel in september 1915, I wonder if he was still the captain or if it would have been a "military" captain.
Frank
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Steamship picture web sites. UPDATED
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just to update the post, I have found a photograph of the "SS CHINA"  ;)
Frank.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know of any good sites where I could find photographs of steamships, I have a ancestor who was a master mariner, in 1881 he is the second mate on a ship called the "SS CHINA" and in 1891 he is the Mate on another ship called "SS NAVRRA ROTHERHITHE". these are the 2 vessels I am looking for, I have done the obvious Google search etc but cannot come up with anything.
Regards always.
Frank.

William Denby born Wisbeach 1855 was second mate of CHINA docked in Goole in the 1881 census. I don't know if this was your ancestor.
Regarding  NAVRRA ROTHERHITHE. I cannot find a ship with this unusual name.
Do you have your mans Certificate of Sea Service or his details from Lloyds Captains register. If not, where did the information re Mate on  NAVRRA ROTHERHITHE come from? It seems that it could be vessel  named NAVARRA  which was docked in Rotherhithe for the 1891 census. Do you think NAVRRA could be a typo?
AFRICA was owned by Bennett Steamship Co., Ltd., Goole when she was lost. It could be your man was Royal Navy Reserve or RNVR. His name would be a great help.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi seaweed, many thanks for your input, the ship "Navrra Rotherhithe" came from something I found on the web, I am now wondering if it was Navrra of Rotherhithe?.
The man in question is my GG Grandfather,
William Denby, b 1885 Wisbech
                      d 1919 Goole.
I have a picture of his "Mates" ticket dated October 1880, and his "Masters" ticket dated July 1885.
Like yourself I cannot find anything anywhere regarding a vessel of this name.
Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again seaweed, forgot to ask, how would I go about getting his record of service etc ?.
Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, William was born in 1855