Author Topic: Michael McGuire, Anna McManus  (Read 1144 times)

Offline lilybramble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael McGuire, Anna McManus
« on: Saturday 16 March 13 06:53 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandmother, Rose McGuire, was born in Ireland 17 March 1867. Her parents' names were Michael McGuire and Anna McMannus. (I have this information from Rose's death certificate.) She immigrated to Canada or the US around 1880. I am trying to find where she was born. Can anyone help me?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McGuire, Anna McManus
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I would allow a year or two either way when searching as age, year of birth etc are not always recorded, or known, accurately. There are two Rose McGuire births listed on the Irish BMD Index (on FamilySearch) during 1867 - one in Dundalk Registration District and the other the other in Ardee registration district

Both districts mainly cover areas in Co. Louth , but Ardee district also includes parts of Co. Meath, and Dundalk district covers some townlands in Counties Armagh & Monaghan.

Neither of those births seem to appear in the extracted birth collections on FamilySearch, but a research cert from the GRO would show parents names and help either confirm or rule out a connection.

I'd be a little wary of a record giving St. Patrick's day as day of birth - apparently many of Irish emigrants gave this as a date of birth to officials overseas if they didn't know their date of birth.

see: Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
       Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lilybramble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I hadn't realized Rose's birthday was actually St. Patrick's Day--it slipped by me. In the meantime, I've found birth and baptism records on rootsireland.com that list her birth as either 6 or 8 Jan 1867. Parents are Michael Maguire and Alice Maguire. I'm thinking perhaps Alice's surname listed is really her married name. The parish/district encompasses parts of Fermanagh and Monaghan counties; the civil record lists Fermanagh and the church record lists Monaghan. I suppose they travelled a little to the church.