Author Topic: The Curragh 1861.  (Read 3575 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Curragh 1861.
« on: Saturday 16 March 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Until 2007 I understood that my Cullen family originated in Ireland. I was told by my father they were connected with horses. A second cousin was told that our great grandfather, born in 1843 worked at the Curragh and also for the Sassoon family. I now know the family came from Deal, Kent.

In 1851 George was living in London with his family, his father was a Domestic Coachman. We can find no trace of him in England in 1861. He was married in London in 1867 and was then a Coachman. In following years George lived in London and Hove and continued to work as a domestic coachman until his death in 1882. As he lived in Mews accommodation we have no record of his employer.

I have had previous postings about this family so apologise. Please does anyone have any information about an English ancestor working as a civilian at the Curragh in 1861 or working as a groom or coachman for the Sassoon family. Any information would be very much appreciated.

RBC.

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Curragh 1861.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi RBC

The Curragh is actually a very large area in County Kildare, with many townlands in it and a long history connected to horses.  Do you have any more details that could narrow things down?  I am based in Kildare so might be able to do some research on the ground for you.

Regards
LostandFound

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi LostandFound

Thank you very much for your interest. Below is information I got from my cousin, that is all we have.

As I remember what my father told me:- His grandfather, George, came over from The Curragh, Ireland to work for the Sassoons training race horses. I believe he was probably employed as a groom. 

According to records, members of the Sassoon family did spend time in London and Brighton, I believe there were also horse racing interests.

Regards
RBC

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you been in touch with the Curragh

www.curragh.ie

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again RBC

I realise you don't have much information or details but can you confirm the following details and answer any of the questions.  It might help.

You are looking for your great grandfather George Cullen, born Ireland, 1843.
By 1851 he was living in London and his father was a Domestic Coachman.
He does not appear on 1861 UK census - are the rest of his family on the 1861 census?
He was married in London in 1867 - do you know the wifes name?
He lived the rest of his life in England and worked as a Domestic Coachman.

You said he was working as a 'civilian' at the curragh in 1861.  Do you use the word civilian because you think he was working at the Curragh Barracks?

Do you have names of any of his siblings or parents?

Cheers
LostandFound

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

George Cullen born 1843 Park Crescent Mews, West Marylebone, Middlesex. 1851 living with parents, Richard and Harriet nee Shalders at 7 Nottingham Mews, Marylebone. 1861 parents at 4 Cambridge Mews, St Pancras with two of George's siblings. We can't find George in the UK at that time.

George married Eliza Dunger in 1867.

We have no proof that he was working at the Curragh in 1861, we only know that our fathers told us that he came from Ireland, and that my cousin was told that he was at the Curragh, I don't think he would have been in the Army, that is why I presumed he was a civilian working at stables connected with racing.

I hope some of the above makes sense

RBC.

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
The British Army were based at the Curragh Camp on the dates given here and Your ggfather was of an age to have been in the army - where he would have been assigned to a trade/skill from his civilian life e.g. working with the Army horses in the stables in the camp. 
The Curragh has long term been associated with horse racing with many training stables and a history of employing young men full and part time. The term 'Coachman' used to be a very familiar title to Kildare men who continued to be involved with the horses as a job after experience at the stables. Also the name Cullen is no stranger in Kildare being personally familiar with the name & place.

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Curragh 1861. Completed.
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information Kamilla. We were told our family came from Ireland but have discovered that was not so, we now know that our 3rd great grandfather came from Kent. We thought the error may have happened because George worked in Ireland during the missing years.

I think we have come to the end of our search for an Irish connection but with Family History you never know what will turn up.

RBC.