Author Topic: My Surname Interests - LINGLEY and others  (Read 5339 times)

Offline RyanSiggers14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Surname Interests - LINGLEY and others
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
I have just found this comment by Vella this is intresting to me beacuse my 5th and 4th Great Grandfathers are Isaac Seggers/Siggers I created a little tree for Sarah to see if I could figure it out from what I can tell she was 24 when she had her first child William John Levett Born 1852. Sarah did not marry until James Diaper 1831-1874 until 8 Nov 1855 now the intresting part my 4th Great Grandfather had a son named John 1834-1903 he would of been 18 and she 24 when William John Levett was born perhaps they met when she was working as a servant.

Vella's Comment
"I have just found out that my 2xgrt grandmother Sarah was a servant in the household of Issac Seggers, Harwich ST Nicholas in the 1851 census. Isaac was 77 then and there was also a daughter Ann aged 35 living there too. If you have anymore information on this family I would be interested to learn of it as the family story goes that the son of the household (possibly named JOHN) was the father of Sarah's illegitimate son."

What do you guys think?

Offline Vella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello RyanSiggers and thank-you for your message. This is really very interesting indeed. My grandmother (nee Diaper and granddaughter of James Diaper) told me that the family of Sarah's child William John Levett took him away from her to Scotland. He is listed on the 1871 Scotland census as living in Glasgow (a lodger) and on the 1861 England census he is living with Sarah (nee Levett) Diaper and her daughter Lucy. William  married Charlotte Sharp and then in 1891 appears on the England census living in London with his family. Do you think this is the same family? I do hope so!
Suffolk: Levett, King
London: Diaper, Shephard, Worth, Fletcher, Castleman
Ruane (Rowan)

Offline RyanSiggers14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 18:15 BST (UK) »
It's hard to say but if I have learned anything since I started looking into ancestry is that family stories tend to be based on some element of truth if this is true.

At the very least Sarah knew my family if she served them now if my 3rd GG John Siggers was Williams father then this would be his first child before getting Moving to Hartlepool in the North of England and getting married having a further 11 children to which only 7 made it to adult hood.

Also it may explain why Williams middle name is John?

Offline Vella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 20:57 BST (UK) »
The mystery continues then. Sarah's father's name was William. Perhaps the Siggers family had a visitor from Scotland or perhaps there is no connection at all with them and the father of William John.
Perhaps one day it will be solved!
Ruane (Rowan)

Offline RyanSiggers14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 21:29 BST (UK) »
Yes hopefully the answer will come to light one day it would probably need to be DNA evidence as its been so long though.

As far as I know there is no connection to the Siggers family to Scotland

I wont say there is not a connection to William beacuse I can not prove it either way but its given me something to think about and its an intresting story.

I still think it's intresting his middle name is John there is another illegitimate Siggers born about 100 years later that hinted to the actual fathers name by double barrelling his surname with hers she was a maid at the time and her husband lived somewhere else so her daughter ended up with the surname Gatenby-Siggers but all the other children she had where legitimate.

If William is John's son though  he would be a great grand uncle I never knew about which is cool.

It's sad Sarah's family took William away and if John was his father he probably never saw him again.

Ryan

Offline Vella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 13:44 BST (UK) »
Yes it is also sad that by the time William came back to London by 1891 Sarah had already died (during or after childbirth in 1868) 

I must do another search for the Kerr family where William was lodging in Glasgow in 1871 when he was 18 but as you have said I might not be able to find out more unless I go for DNA testing.
Ruane (Rowan)

Offline maplerosenz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 November 22 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vella

Do let us know if you take an Ancestry autosomal test - Ryan and I are second cousins, and both share the same Siggers line.  If you turn up in our DNA matches it would prove your theory nicely and we can then add Sarah and son William to our trees.

Kind regards

Mel