Author Topic: Charlotte Ellen THOMPSON  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Chezzyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte Ellen THOMPSON
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte was my sons' great grandmother on their father's side. I am trying to find her DOB and mother's name which was about 1871 in Bermondsey. Her father, according to her marriage certificate was Richard Henry THOMPSON and his occupation was shown as horse cab proprietor. he may have been Irish. I have a birth certificate which could be Charlotte's but she is shown only as Charltte, not Charlotte Ellen. On this certificate her mother's name is given as Louisa SMITH and father Richard Henry THOMPSON but I can find no record of Charlotte with her mother in 1871 or 1881 censuses. Any clues please?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Ellen THOMPSON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, well I have been giving this a good go, let's see if fresh eyes can help out. For a start is she the Charlotte Ellen Thompson aged 20 occ Servant b Bermondsey at South Eastern Hospital in 1891 RG12/506/115/1, can you please advise just when/where and to whom she married (It is not the Sept 1900 Lambeth Charlotte Ellen, as this one married a Joseph John Jenks and was born c 1881 Father George)
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chezzyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! Yes, she is the Charlotte Ellen at the hospital but she didn't marry until 1924 when most of her children were adults. I know about her later life,it's her early years and birth I want to pin down. It's looking like the certificate I have is the only show in town, so to speak.however, that shows a DOB of Oct 1870 so where was she and her mother in 1871 and 1881? That's my dilemma.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, so what other census returns have you Charlotte on, as the 1891 is the only one where I could locate her with a pob of Bermondsey?

Keyboard86

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if her parents were married and if not she went by her mothers surname as a child.

You say she didn't marry till 1924 but had children - did they all have the surname Thompson?

What address was she at on the marriage certificate?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Chezzyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I have her marriage certificate; she married William Henry Brooks in 1824. All her children have the surname brooks although all were born before the marriage. The couple lived together. As for censuses other than 1891, that is the problem I can't find her in any. The certificate I bought (because it was the ony one which fitted the date and location criteria) has her as born in a workhouse in Oct 1870 but I can't find her in 1871 or 1881; nor can I find her mother, Louisa SMITH, if indeed this is the right Charlotte. As I said earlier, the certificate I have shows Charlotte as the only given name. Maybe I have to visit LMA or somewhere to see if they the workhouse records.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I have her marriage certificate; she married William Henry Brooks in 1824. All her children have the surname brooks although all were born before the marriage. The couple lived together. As for censuses other than 1891, that is the problem I can't find her in any. The certificate I bought (because it was the ony one which fitted the date and location criteria) has her as born in a workhouse in Oct 1870 but I can't find her in 1871 or 1881; nor can I find her mother, Louisa SMITH, if indeed this is the right Charlotte. As I said earlier, the certificate I have shows Charlotte as the only given name. Maybe I have to visit LMA or somewhere to see if they the workhouse records.

Hi maybe to make the task easier, when/where were the children of Charlotte born, were any born prior to 1911?
Keyboard86

Offline Chezzyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
All Charlotte's children bar 1 were born before 1911 and all bar 2 were born in Northfleet, Kent. The eldest was born in 1895. How does that helps with locating Charlotte Ellen in 1871 and 1881?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:32 GMT (UK) »
All Charlotte's children bar 1 were born before 1911 and all bar 2 were born in Northfleet, Kent. The eldest was born in 1895. How does that helps with locating Charlotte Ellen in 1871 and 1881?

:) Any chance of any names and years of birth?
Or where were the children 1901/1911?
Keyboard86