Author Topic: Daniel Matheson - St Michaels Cemetery, New York.  (Read 709 times)

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Matheson - St Michaels Cemetery, New York.
« on: Monday 18 March 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would somebody with access to Findagrave or similar please help me out.
I am looking for details about the burial of Daniel Matheson on November 17th 1886. According to his Inquest Certificate he was buried in St Michaels Cemetery, New York. (He was born in Scotland on September 15th 1843). He met his untimely death at his home at 107 E.108th Street, N.Y..

I am hoping there may be some details about next of kin etc..

Thanks.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Matheson - St Michaels Cemetery, New York.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
www.findagrave.com is free, so you should have access to it.  It doesn't include every internment, though.

I'm presuming that this is the St. Michael's in question - http://www.stmichaelscemetery.com/contact-us/  You could try e-mailing them for further details.

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Apologies!! I was on the Findagrave site this morning, didn't get a result and I clicked on to the next stage which did have some, but it was a subscription site within Findagrave.

I did notice however that there are about 18 Cemeteries called St Michaels within New York. I suppose the one you mentioned, being the closest, may very well be a hot favourite. I'll contact them now.

Thanks.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I think what you found was an ad for another site, and I wouldn't take it too seriously.  I think they only go by matches on the name, not any other details.

The 1888 New York City city directory has a Roderick G. Matheson, cutter, living at the same address.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
So people can see what was found previously on this family:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,534997.0.html

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

Thanks for adding my previous posts. (I had been trying to do the same, but just couldn't !!).

I've found a few one-line entries, for Daniel and Roderick in the Washington DC (1878/1879) and New York (1880/1886/1889) Directories.

Roderick, and Daniel's wife, Ellen(Helen) arrived in New York with the children aboard the SS Europa
on the 26th August 1871. (I got the Passenger List through Ancestry).

Apart from the 1880 NY census, I haven't been able to get any further info. on the family, other than Daniel's 1886 Inquest Certificate (he came to a grisly end!). According to that, he arrived in the US in 1868, but have not been able to substantiate this fact.

I've tried the usual sources, Italgen etc., but have found no trace of the children.

Apart from the 1880 NY Census, I haven't been able to find any information (births/marriages/deaths) for the rest of the family.

Thanks for bumping my first post.

MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay