Author Topic: Lack of addresses in PCC will  (Read 707 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lack of addresses in PCC will
« on: Tuesday 19 March 13 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a PCC will dated 1779 & probated London 1780.  The testator's occupation and London address is given as was that of the Executors.  He mentions several relatives including my direct ancestor.  However the only other address given is for his brother, who is living at St Johns, Yorkshire.

My questions is: can I assume that all the other relatives named were living in the London area and thus known to the Executors?

The Executors appear to be friends/business colleagues.  Thanks, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of addresses in PCC will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 21:43 GMT (UK) »
can I assume that all the other relatives named were living in the London area

Might not be wise to assume anything  :-\

and ... known to the Executors

That's more likely if the executors were family members but not guaranteed.  I have a will, slighter later date than yours, but while it names a shed load of people, no addresses.  The testator lived in Sussex.  Some of the beneficiaries lived as far afield as Australia and from what I can piece together, it took the solicitors the best part of 15 years to get it all sorted out.  One letter to the solicitor gives the addresses and relationships of some of the people named .  Makes me wonder how much there was left to distribute!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of addresses in PCC will
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 02:49 BST (UK) »
I have often wondered how they went about tracing beneficiaries in those days, and to what lengths before they stopped searching. And then what happened to that particular bequest if the beneficiary was not found.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.