Author Topic: kelly/kellie  (Read 7779 times)

Offline baggie73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kelly/kellie
« on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
hi i hope someone can shed some light, i have been resesrching the kellies of dumbarton scotland, and am quite up toghther on this, however although my 3 times grandfather john kelly/ kellie born 1834 i now belive was meath i also belive his parents were james kelly and sarah hayes although i dont no for sure, is there anyway of findng this info out as i find ireland research difficult, also would like to know when he came to scotland, my english tree and scottish tree are fairly toghther  nad now have ireland to do but like i said its difficult
                                           thanks in advance martin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: kelly/kellie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
You usually need a more detailed location than just the county (e.g. the town, townland or parish) to start a search for early records, and this is especially true when it comes to searching for a surname as common as Kelly. Kelly was the 2nd most common surname in Ireland during the 1800s..

see : Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline baggie73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
thankyou i will have a look im sorry i can tell you no more on scotlands people it only says born ireland
when i went to who do you think you are live in london they come up with meath but that was all
                   thanks again martin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Do the details you mentioned on possible parents for John come from his marriage and death certs ?

Wonder how the people at WDYTYA live came up with Co. Meath...

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline baggie73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
because i found a batism 27 jan 1834 in grangegeeth, monknewton, dowth and rath she told me there was no such place and belives it is meath i need to look at
                                     martin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Do his marriage and death certs confirm James and Sarah as his parents names ?
My Surname Interests

Offline baggie73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
i dont no unfortuntley i had my laptop stolen on the coach to england and scotland and lost my tree and every record i had most orginals but also my passwords to scotlands people which i can longer accsess so im in a bit of a pickle
                                               m

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:19 GMT (UK) »
With such a common Irish name, I think you would need the parents to be certain of any matches. There are literally hundreds of (over 600) John Kelly baptisms around 1834, just on the index on RootsIreland - and likely many more on other systems, and also more not on any database

Grange-geeth, Monknewtown, Douth/Dowth - are all alternate names for the RC parish of Rathkenny, Co. Meath.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline baggie73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks shane i was hoping there was away i could avoid scotlands people and seek advice on ireland branch as all my scotish side end up there no just kelly/kellies thanks again
                                    martin