Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople Birth Certificate 1908 - Completed thanks to MonicaL  (Read 1271 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
ScotlandsPeople Birth Certificate 1908 - Completed thanks to MonicaL
« on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I knew one of my aunts was born in 1908 in Glasgow, so I thought I'd get her birth certificate from ScotlandsPeople.  The problem is Java doesn't seem to work for me (I've put a request for help on Technical Board), so I just wonder if anyone can tell me what information is on a Scottish birth certificate and if it's worth me shelling out £12 for a paper copy?

I've got a copy of my grandfather's death details from ScotlandsPeople, as coincidentally he died in Scotland and the information about his parents was very useful.  Will the birth certificate show similar information, that is the grandparents of my aunt?  It is her grandfather I can't find and I thought maybe there would be info on her birth certificate that would give me a clue.

Many thanks

Lizzie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople Birth Certificate 1908
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, Java never works for me either  :-\

The easiest download and view option I think on SP is the direct download option.

On this page here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/users/details.aspx you will see the 'image viewer' option. You can select the 'direct download' option from there.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Regarding what is contained on a Scottish birth cert, see www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&402

A useful additional piece of info included on Scottish birth certs post the early 1860s, is the date and place of parents' marriage.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I seem to be doing a post/thought at a time  :P

Was your aunt's tricky grandfather Scottish? Is that why you are hoping for further clues from the certs? Her birth cert won't show any details on her grandparents, just her parents.

If g grandfather was Scottish, why don't you post some details on him and people on the Scottish boards can try to help you with this.

Monica

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I've changed my details to direct download and that has worked, I'll remember that for future reference.  No, my g.grandfather wasn't Scottish, I was just hoping that there might be some details of him on the birth certificate.  Unfortunately, the only information the certificate has given me that I didn't know was my aunt's time of birth.  Oh well, there's another good idea blown away.

Lizzie

ps.  My 4 x g.grandfather was Scottish, but he was born in the late 1700s, so too far back to find his parents, especially as his English marriage parish record is also too early to show father's name. 

pps.  I've got to go to cook dinner now, so I'll be back later in case you have any further thoughts.