Author Topic: Gmail saving copies of draft e-mails but not in the draft box!  (Read 5499 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Gmail saving copies of draft e-mails but not in the draft box!
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes when typing an e-mail, I'll go and look for info somewhere, but I don't save the e-mail to draft I just bring up a web page, then I go back to the e-mail and add a bit more info.  So, today for instance I was typing a reply to an e-mail someone had sent to me with info about my OH's ancestors.  I clicked on reply and then typed a comment for each of the pieces of info I'd been sent.  Each time I did that, a copy appeared in my inbox.  When I finally sent the finished email, all the copies, went into delete.

This afternoon, I was checking a transcriber's work and because he was new, the people in charge asked me to make comments.  So every time I made a comment, without actually closing the e-mail just going back to the transcription, Gmail kept a copy in the inbox.

I've now got a total of 20 copies from the 2 e-mails in delete, none of which have been opened, because they are all the versions of the two e-mails I've been typing.  It doesn't really matter, except it's wasting space on my laptop.  Not only that, these unfinished e-mails keep being sent to me, as if Gmail somehow knows that I've stopped typing and is making a copy for me, but why are they coming via the server?

I've also got 2 copies of another e-mail in draft that I'm not ready to send yet.  The first one is dated 10 March and the 2nd one is dated 18 March and is a longer version of the first e-mail.  I tried to delete the unwanted copy, but gmail won't let me because I've not yet sent the one dated 18 March.  When I finally finish the email, by adding more info and then sending it, that will be another 2 e-mails in delete, as well as the one I've sent in the sent box.

How can I alter this?  I've still got my Virgin e-mail and if I do the same in an e-mail using Virgin, nothing like this happens and when I eventually send my e-mail, one copy just goes into the send box so it must be something to do with Gmail.

Lizzie

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Gmail saving copies of draft e-mails but not in the draft box!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »

I use gmail and can't say I had that problem, all my drafts are auto saved and appear in "drafts" and can go back to them anytime, and then once it's sent goes to "sent".  Perhaps it's a setting that needs to be changed, but with technical things I usually yell for son to fix them. ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
What happens is that whilst I'm looking up information to add to an e-mail I've already started typing (but not saved to draft) somewhere a copy of the e-mail to that point is made.  When I then add to the e-mail, another copy is made and so on and yesterday they kept pinging into draft but via the server, so it appeared they'd been sent somewhere then returned to me from myself - if that makes sense.  So if I'm doing a lot of additions/alterations to an e-mail, I get lots of copies in draft and when I eventually send the e-mail, all the draft copies automatically go into deleted - but they all show up as unopened e-mails.  It's very odd.

I've checked all the settings, and can't see that they are any different to the settings I have for Virgin mail which works normally. 

It seems if I'm typing an email that will need additions/alterations, the best thing I can do is type it out in word first, and then cut and paste to the e-mail when it is ready for sending.

Lizzie

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
That is indeed very strange, as I do a lot of e-mails both my own and for work, and haven't encountered that problem.   I usually work from the drafts and find that it all works fine.  Seems you have a gremlin somewhere, perhaps someone technically minded will have a better answer ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 13 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your thoughts 3sillydogs, maybe someone else will pick up on this request and come up with some good ideas.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to e-mail gmail - they don't seem to have a help line.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 13 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, are you using Mozilla Thunderbird?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 March 13 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie: Virgin are the ones to contact regarding your problems.
It appears to me that Virgin have modified the actions of G Mail to suit their service.
(I am also a Virgin user)
My draft folder holds outgoing messages that haven't been sent within a period of time (like moving away from computer).
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 March 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'm feeling under the weather today and can't concentrate on the computer.  I'll be back as soon as possible.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 March 13 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick heads up to confirm Virgin as a first port of call regarding your g mail probs.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Other-Services/ct-p/Email
(Like here at RootsChat, this is a moderated forum supplying help. - to Virgin customers)
Hope you get things sorted.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire