Author Topic: Help! Mystery of missing Grimwood / Rush baptisms - Hitcham area  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Excaliber68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Mystery of missing Grimwood / Rush baptisms - Hitcham area
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am picking up some Rush / Grimwood research I put down in 2006

I have traced my father's line back to my GGG Grandfather James Rush Grimwood born (likely), Hitcham, Suffolk 1811/12. He had 3 siblings that were also born Hitcham, Suffolk (Samuel, Sarah, Elizabeth)…all also with the "Rush Grimwood" name

Based on indirect evidence, I am near 100% certain that the parents of these children were Sarah Grimwood, born Hitcham (possibly Ringshall) Suffolk 1790/91 and Samuel Rush born 1771/72 (likely Suffolk)

All of this is gleaned from census, BMD and parish records from Hornchurch, Essex after 1830 where the family were then living

However, despite searches in the Suffolk Records Office of parish records for Hitcham and surrounding parishes, I have been unable to find baptism records for any of these individuals (neither has Suffolk-based researcher Maggie Driver). Moreover, thinking absence from parish baptism records might mean they were baptists, I also searched the Wattisham Baptist Meeting House Register "Register of Births" (the only, but extensive baptist records held at the SRO for parishes in the Hitcham area). Plenty for Grimwood births were recorded in there (most from Hitcham/Ringshall), but none of the above 6 individuals

The Rush Grimwood name clearly comes from the fact that Sarah Grimwood and Samuel Rush were not married and so the children took the mother's surname, but were given the father's surname as a middle name

There is a Hitcham parish record of an 1830 marriage between a Samuel Rush and a Sarah Grimwood which I assume must be the same couple who must have travelled back from Essex to Hitcham specifically for the marriage

So, I am looking for :
1] Where I can look next to ascertain baptism/births of the above individuals
2] Has anyone else researched this family?
3] What might be the reasons for the complete absence of baptisms from all records - something to do with the illegitimacies? Is it conceivable that people in those times did not get baptised? Seems unlikely.
4] Is the fact that they travelled back to Suffolk to get married in 1830 revealing of anything (i.e. rather than get married in Hornchurch, Essex where they had settled)
5] Any thoughts on what was required to move to a new parish/what records I can search, in case any records pertaining to the Suffolk to Essex move sheds light
6] Where else might I look ?!?

Thanks in advance

Mark Grimwood

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Mystery of missing Grimwood / Rush baptisms - Hitcham area
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is a possible from the Suffolk Baptism Index.

Samuel Rush
bap. 20th May, 1770
son of James and Elizabeth
St. Mary, Offton

and this one

Sarah Grimwood
bap. 4th April, 1790
dau of George and Sarah
St. Mary, Barking

Samuel Rush who married Sarah Grimwood was a widower at time of marriage.

What evidence do you have of "Rush Grimwood"?  Is your James the one who married a Sarah West in Hornchurch in 1834, if so the marriage only gives his name as James Grimwood. In the census this James birthplace is Needham.

I see now that the name Rush was used during the baptisms of the children in Hornchurch.

Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I have in my tree a William Grimwood, died 1855, who married Elizabeth Rush.  Her dates are 1770 - 1839 and was born Thorpe Morieux.  Their child was Susannah Grimwood, born 1811, Brettenham.  She married Simon Last and their child, William Last (1832-1858) married Elizabeth Proctor (1838-1898).
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Excaliber68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Suffok Sue

Thanks for your help...which I am very excited about - one quick post and you may have helped me overcome years of frustration!

I am excited because the names and dates are right and the parishes are v close to Hitcham/Ringshall. Perhaps I did not check Offton and Barking when I was at the SRO

What is this "Suffolk Baptism Index"? Is it something I have to buy from SFHS? If yes a couple of CDs, pluse for marriage and Burials will be pricey, but hey ho...and may not go back before 1754 (I think)..so perhaps I should go back to SRO and look through Offton and Barking records?

You have correctly identifed my James. You are right that one census return gives his place of birth as Needham, but Hitcham is given in other years. Also Hitcham is given by his siblings a bit more consistently. Also, there are other indicators in the Hornchurch parish records as well as BMD to support Rush Grimwood, a "Hitcham" origin (although once Needham, once Ringshall and once Hadleigh mentioned) and Samuel/Sarah being my ancestors...Basiaclly a weight of evidence approach leads me to conclude I have it all correct...just had got stuck...but you may have unstuck me!

Thanks

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
The Suffolk Baptism Index is available on Findmypast  http://www.findmypast.co.uk/  amongst other Suffolk stuff. Its not complete by any means but it is updated every now and then.

They do a 14day free trial.  ;D

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 13 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming from the lack of acknowledgement that the info I posted is of no use  ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Excaliber68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 13 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves

Forgive me. I was at work when I replied to Suffolk Sue and only had a few mins. In my hurry/excitement If forgot to acknowledge your help. V remiss of me

Sadly I don't think it helps, but thanks anyway

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
How do you know Samuel, Sarah and Elizabeth were siblings of James, what happened to them?