Author Topic: Translation of Latin will extracts  (Read 3212 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Translation of Latin will extracts
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who would mind translating some short extracts from a will written in Latin into English for me? I can make out a few words/phrases but not much else.

Matt

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Latin will extracts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Can you post the extracts? cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Can you post the extracts? cb

I will try to do that tonight.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 13 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I have copied the entries out as best I can and hope that this helps. These extracts all come from registers relating to Northiam, except the last one which is listed under Playden but clearly refers to the same man.

Extracts from the will of Ncholas Tufton found on Sussex Record Society website.

Northiam
Nichus Tufton……de Northyhm 1538-9, Jan 2, proved 1 Feb 1538-9

[High Alter]
1538-9, Jan 2: lego sumo altare ibm pro decimis meis oblitis iijs iiijd “Nicholas Tufton”

[Rood]
1538-9, Jan 2: lego Lumini ante altam Crucem de Northyhm predict’ iijs iijd
“Nicholas Tufton”

[Interments in the Church]
1538-9, Jan 2: Corpusque meum ad sepeliend’ in ecclia beate marie de Northyham coram altare sancti Nicholai ibm si Deo plau rit pro qua sepultura lego parochianis ibm vjs viijd Item lego pro quodam lapide cum picture et scriptura ad ponend’ super sepulturam meam xxvjs  viijd “Nicholas Tufton”

[Orbits, Services and Doles”
1538-9, Jan 2: lego ad maritagium sex pauperum puellarum xxd videlit quilit eorum xld in parochia de Northyhm ex parentela men quarum Alicia Pecok serviens mes esse una. “Nicholas Tufton”  “Nicholas Tufton”

[General Repairs]
1538-9, Jan 2: lego parochianis de Northyhm predict ad Repacoem ecclie et ad repacoem libroru et vestimentor aut aliorum necessariorum per discrecoem parochianorum predcorum et executorum meorum quinque marcas. “Nicholas Tufton”

[Miscellaneous Items]
1538-9, Jan 2: lego viis noeivis in Northyhm predca viginti solidos………..lego viis noc inter Northyhm et Rye viginti libras……..Et in viis nocivis ibm xs et in aliis operibus caritativis ibm xs sedm ultunam voluntatem Joannis Auckland. “Nicholas Tufton”

Playden

[Hospital]
1538-9, Jan 2: “lego John Tufton filio meo totum terminum annor’ meorum hospitalis de Spetyll iuxta Riam de tenure Monasterij Sancti Petri Westm’ “Nicholas Tufton of Northiam”

Any help would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Matt

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I'll make a start

I bequeath at the high altar in the same place for my ten --- 3s 4d. obliviscor, i, itus, means to forget so I don't think it can be oblitis, which would be "forgotten ones". I think it's obitis. Obitus is the anniversary of a death. So it's for his ten deceased relatives.

I bequeath for the light (a Catholic church has a lit sanctuary lamp to show Jesus is there) before the high Cross of Northym aforesaid 3s 4d

and my body to be buried in the church of St Mary of Northyham before the altar of St Nicholas in the same place if God (plau rit isn't Latin, maybe placet, if God pleases?) for which burial I bequeath for the parishioners in the same place 6s 8d. Item I bequeath for a certain stone with drawing and writing to be put over my burial 25s 8d

I bequeath for the marriage of 6 poor girls 20d forsooth any of them ?40d in the parish of Northyhm from my kin, one of these to be my servant Alice Peacock. I don't see how he could say 20d for all, then 40d for one. Does it definitely say xld?

I bequeath for the parishioners of Northyhm aforesaid for the repair of the church and for the replacement of books or vestments or of other necessary things according to the discretion of the aforesaid parishioners and my executors, 5 marks

I bequeath for the (nocivus is harmful but this seems an unlikely meaning) ways/roads in Northyhm aforesaid twenty shillings.. I bequeath for the ?? ways between Northyhm and Rye £20.. and in the ?? ways in the same place 10s.. and in other works of charity in the same place 10s.. sedm, I can't think what Latin word it should be, the next word should be ultimam, so it means the last wish of John Auckland

I bequeath to John Tufton my son the whole term of my years of the hospice of Spetyll near Rye in the holding of the Monastery of St Peter of Westminster

Sorry,I meant to suggest that you post sections of the original rather than transcribe it, claytonbradley

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 13 18:07 GMT (UK) »
sedm is probably "secundum" = following/according to.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 March 13 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,I meant to suggest that you post sections of the original rather than transcribe it

The source would appear to be this (and following pages) ...

http://www.sussexrecordsociety.org/booki.asp?BookId=srs043251&Xid=T&xnm=1

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 13 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I'll make a start

I bequeath at the high altar in the same place for my ten --- 3s 4d. obliviscor, i, itus, means to forget so I don't think it can be oblitis, which would be "forgotten ones". I think it's obitis. Obitus is the anniversary of a death. So it's for his ten deceased relatives.

I bequeath for the light (a Catholic church has a lit sanctuary lamp to show Jesus is there) before the high Cross of Northym aforesaid 3s 4d

and my body to be buried in the church of St Mary of Northyham before the altar of St Nicholas in the same place if God (plau rit isn't Latin, maybe placet, if God pleases?) for which burial I bequeath for the parishioners in the same place 6s 8d. Item I bequeath for a certain stone with drawing and writing to be put over my burial 25s 8d

I bequeath for the marriage of 6 poor girls 20d forsooth any of them ?40d in the parish of Northyhm from my kin, one of these to be my servant Alice Peacock. I don't see how he could say 20d for all, then 40d for one. Does it definitely say xld?

I bequeath for the parishioners of Northyhm aforesaid for the repair of the church and for the replacement of books or vestments or of other necessary things according to the discretion of the aforesaid parishioners and my executors, 5 marks

I bequeath for the (nocivus is harmful but this seems an unlikely meaning) ways/roads in Northyhm aforesaid twenty shillings.. I bequeath for the ?? ways between Northyhm and Rye £20.. and in the ?? ways in the same place 10s.. and in other works of charity in the same place 10s.. sedm, I can't think what Latin word it should be, the next word should be ultimam, so it means the last wish of John Auckland

I bequeath to John Tufton my son the whole term of my years of the hospice of Spetyll near Rye in the holding of the Monastery of St Peter of Westminster

Sorry,I meant to suggest that you post sections of the original rather than transcribe it, claytonbradley

Wow, thanks for all your work Bradley. I did have a go at it myself last night as I could work out what a few words were and I see I got some of my guesses right to (I thought pauperum referred to the poor, and parachianorum I guessed has something to do with the parish or parishoners).

With regards to your questions I think I mistyped a few words. In the first bit it says oblitis not oblitus. In the third section it should have been placu rit and not plau rit, however on closer inspection of the text on the website there looks like there might be a letter between the u and r so could it be another word? In the fourth section it does say xld (could this be a mistranscription by the person who extracted the info?). Lastly I should have put nocivis not novicus.

I don't know if these change any meaning at all. If you want to look at the original entries on the website here is the link where I found the info:

http://www.sussexrecordsociety.org/booki.asp?BookId=srs043251&Xid=T&xnm=1

Thanks again for your help, at least now I have a general understanding of what it says.

Matt

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 March 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
You are right, it says oblitis, so can I correct the first extract to "I bequeath at the high altar in the same place for my forgotten tithes"
placuerit, if God please
The extract about the girls' marriage portion says xxs, 20s and 40d per girl, so that makes perfect sense.
And the word describing the roads (viis nocivis) is certainly nocivus meaning harmful. The extracts in English merely talk about the common highway, but they are all concering repair of the roads. best wishes, cb