Author Topic: Translation of Latin will extracts  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Latin will extracts
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 March 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Just a note for reference, and ease of use. There is no need to translate the grant of probate (probatim) at the end of every will. This will not vary in substance, only usually in the names of the person granting probate, judge or cleric, and of course the date. To help searchers some time ago I had a template of the usual form of probate posted on this site.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 March 13 18:05 GMT (UK) »
You are right, it says oblitis, so can I correct the first extract to "I bequeath at the high altar in the same place for my forgotten tithes"
placuerit, if God please
The extract about the girls' marriage portion says xxs, 20s and 40d per girl, so that makes perfect sense.
And the word describing the roads (viis nocivis) is certainly nocivus meaning harmful. The extracts in English merely talk about the common highway, but they are all concering repair of the roads. best wishes, cb

That's brilliant. Thanks again for all your help.

Matt

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 March 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Not a will it looks a bit more sinister but can anyone translate this please and give a reason for an ex comunication ( which is what I think it is) I am interested particularly with the Lawley entry

Excommunicatio contra Carolum Horton denunciata fuit in Ecclesia Parochiali de Kinlett decimo secundo die mensis Augusti Anno Domini 1716.

Excommunicatio contra Jeanam Benion denunciata fuit vicesimo Primo die mensis Novbri. Anno Dom. 1725.

Excommunicatio contra Susan Lawley in Ecclesia Parochiali De Kinlett fuit denunciata Martii vicesimo Sexto Die Ann: Dom: 1732.

Its from a register of baptism marriage and burials
Many thanks
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 March 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Is that all that is available? I ask because a relative of mine at Huntingdon was required to do penance before the church at 1732 because she had insulted another person and refused to apologise, so she was dragged before the church in a white shroud on pain of excommunication to do so.Reading between the lines she seems to have questioned the other women's chasity (called her a whore or similar, with some justification in my opinion!) However, such an experience must have been terrifying to a believer.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 March 13 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Excommunication against Susan Lawley was announced in the parish church of Kinlett  27 March 1732
I don't know what the reason for excommunication was at that date. Perhaps Susan was a nonconformist of some sort.
Have you tried the Bishop's records at the county record office? I found a document at Chester from the Bishop against Jonas Broadley 16 feb 1743/4. Jonas had to apologise publicly in Church (the church is called Church Kirk) and pay a fine. He had said that he and Mary Duckworth had an affair in the Moorheadfield " said tho falsely that she the said Mary Duckworth was or had been your the said Jonas Broadley's whore..". He had started saying this a year before, March 1742/3. Both he and Mary Duckworth were in their late forties at the time. She was a little older, so if they really had an affair in a Lancashire winter out doors I can only admire their stamina. What I find fascinating is what it doesn't say. Mary Duckworth was not only the churchwarden's wife, she was also the older sister of Jonas's wife, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 March 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
My OH is a churchwarden and has handed me the book of Common Prayer, which says " If a Minister be persuaded that any person who presents himself to be a partaker of the holy Communion ought not to be admitted thereunto by reason of malicious and open contention with his neighbours or other grave and open sin without repentance".."not to refuse the Sacrament to any person  until..he shall have called him and advertised him that ..he presume not to come to the Lord's Table." cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 March 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks all very interesting I have never found one of these notices before and this register has at least 6 in a ten year period it seems that they had a very strict priest or wardens. Next time I get a chance to visit Shropshire RO I will look out for any further documentation on the case but what you seem to be saying it was often insulting  others I had wondered if it involved extra marital sexual activity  but the registers have named several births as "bastard" and the mums have not been ex comunicated. Again this was a family that had produced several Church Wardens over time so I doubt it was a case of non conformisist tendencies. Most interesting
Many Thanks
trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 March 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed that these are all within a span of 20-30 years from the Early to mid 18th century. Was there some form of fundamental religious revival at this time? I can't recall one from history. I thought Britain was taking time off killing each other in the name of God, after the blood lettings of the previous 2 centuries.