Author Topic: Tomb of Fasham Nairn in West Hoathly churchyard - who is buried in it?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb of Fasham Nairn in West Hoathly churchyard - who is buried in it?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 March 13 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Liz,

That would be wonderful!  From what I remember of the lost photo it was a fairly simple rectangular box design, with a broken corner.  If it is not asking too much could I have a photo of each of the four sides?

Do you know anything about the West Hoathly Archive?  From their website it appears it is only open to the public one day a year.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 March 13 15:51 BST (UK) »
 ;D I should be able to go tomorrow and will take some photos - unless it's snowing!  8)

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
 ;D Well - it was snowing when I left home - and my car was rather bossily telling me the road was slippery - but it wasn't and I made it to the Churchyard this morning.

There are confusingly several tombs which have no inscriptions on them in the south east corner near the yew tree.  However - only one has significant damage to one corner and I am guessing this is the one your brother identified.  I took photos of several of the tombs - all that I could find no name that were of the right age- and I have all angles of the one I think is the Nairn tomb.

I was wondering if perhaps the Vicar or Churchwardens would have the burial plans - and even though there is no name on the tomb it would be recorded on that?  There are email addresses on their Church website ...

If you PM me an email address I will send you the photos.  If you want more - let me know.

Liz  8)

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Herman Digger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 September 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
By coincidence I recently photographed the gravestones in St Margaret's churchyard, West Hoathly  for www.gravestonephotos.com although they are not yet on the website.
I have a photograph for Fasham Nairn's grave which has a pedestal monument made by Shout of London who were a well known firm operating in Holborn in the early 19th century. The inscription is not very clear but reads: "In this tomb are deposited the remains of Fasham Nairn of Barnett Place in this parish who died the 27th day of October 1810 aged ?? years."

I am not sure if the other faces of the pedestal had an inscription. If they did I have no photograph. If you still need a copy of the photo send me a private message with email

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 September 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
well done you  :D
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />