Author Topic: Thomas SIMMONS of Bathurst (O'Connell) 1835-1891.  (Read 6863 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SIMMONS of Bathurst (O'Connell) 1835-1891.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
 :)

" Catholic Diocese Registers. The Historic Registers which include baptisms, burials and marriages of the Bathurst Diocese. Download the request form ......."

http://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/community/bathurst-library/232-family-history.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
This is no help in finding when he came and you may already have this.

Funeral Notice (TROVE)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64229998

Not sure if this is the same Thomas Simmons
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64231959

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brumby90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 March 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes the funeral notice is his. Not sure about the fire. I dont know where the woodlands are around bathurst. Would most probably be him though, Trouble is they have changed the names since 1891.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think Woodlands would be more over towards Oberon on the old road, not on the Great Western Highway.

NSW ER 1903 MACQUARIE, polling at O’Connell.

At that particular polling place there were 196 people enrolled.   Addresses include Woodlands, Rectory, Lagoon, O’Connell, Bloom Hill, Cow Flat, Langsdale, Cox’s Hill and others.   When I look at the roll for those polling at Oberon, there’s addresses like Duckmaloi, Kangaroo Grounds, Woodlands, Wattle Grove  and others.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Connell,_New_South_Wales 

Bathurst is further west than O’Connell.
  In the second half of the 19th Century, O’Connell, like many other localities in that area, was in the police district of Bathurst.  O’Connell was in the then electorate of East Macquarie, and in the county of Westmoreland. 

In the second half of the 19th Century, Bathurst was in the then electorate of Bathurst, and the county of Bathurst. 

National Library of Australia has imaged 1886 Atlas that may help.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,538663.0.html

(See map MAP RaA 30. Part 82. at the naa link  :) , it doesn't display Woodlands but it shows several counties and gives a 'big picture' to the districts in the era when your chap was there)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 March 13 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Googlemap shows the village of O'Connell with Beaconsfield Rd leaving O'Connell and a "Lagoon Rd" off Beaconsfield Rd.  Lagoon Rd goes west and then swings northwest to meet Vale Rd which goes on toward Bathurst. So they're in the same general area but may not be the same place/person.  ???

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 March 13 01:24 GMT (UK) »
May I guess that the birth certs for the children show they were born at Campbell’s River?

1867 National Directory EAST MACQUARIE T. Simmons, Campbell’s River
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 EAST MACQUARIE Thomas SIMMONS, leasehold, Campbell’s River.
NSW ER 1878 EAST MACQUARIE  Thomas SIMMONS, leasehold, Campbell’s River

"leaseholder" is a clue, so  perhaps it is worthwhile following up on that land, as the application for the lease may (and on other hand may not) have details as to a) ship of arrival and b) native place ....

Campbell's River  :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbells_River

Campbells River starts up near Oberon, runs towards Bathurst and is dammed up at Chifley Dam,  off Lagoon Road.
http://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/environment/water/1335-ben-chifley-dam.html

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 March 13 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In case there’s a naming pattern:

NSW BDM online index births:
1861 Thomas and Rachel SIMMONDS , parents to Thomas, registered Bathurst District
1863, Thomas and Rachel SIMMONS, parents to Bridget, registered Bathurst District
1865, Thomas and Rachel SIMMONDS, parents to George, registered Bathurst District
1868, Thomas and Rachel SIMMONDS, parents to John, registered Bathurst District
1871, Thomas and Rachel SIMMONS, parents to Catherine, registered Bathurst District
1873 TWINS to Thomas and Rachel SIMMONS, William and Elizabeth, registered Bathurst District (Sadly, it seems baby William did not survive, as there’s a likely death registered 1873)
1878 Thomas and Rachel SIMMONS, parents to Richard, registered Bathurst District
1880, Thomas and Rachael SIMMONS, parents to William, registered Bathurst District
1883 Thomas and Rachael SIMMONS, parents for Rachael, registered East Macquarie District

My old notes say that East Macquarie commences as a NSW BDM district in 1880. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 March 13 02:51 GMT (UK) »
In case there's info on the applications for leasehold land .... I looked through Trove and spotted the following two cuttings from 1889....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62226695 29 June 1889.   

Thomas Simmons, O’Connell, 100 acres, County Westmoreland, parish of Jocelyn.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62227541 18 Dec 1889

APPLICATIONS DISALLOWED. Thomas Simmons, c p, (cp = conditional purchase)  100 acres, parish Jocelyn, county Westmoreland

Cheers,  JM

Offline brumby90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 March 13 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have all their children and Campbells river is around there. I used to live there so know the area very well. they tended to move the house along the river so it changes over time and there is no real town name for the area so it just went off the name of the river nearby but it was around Oberon generally. Had not heard of "woodlands" before though. Obviously some name change since the 1800's. It seems pretty obvious the fire was with Thomas. No relatives ever mentioned him being burnt etc so thats a new bit of gossip I now have.:)
I will do a search for leases online and see if can find anything at all.
I just have BIG doubts about him being here since he was 2 yrs old as have never heard any mention of his parents being here. the family passed down things about relatives (wrong and right) but never heard anything of them being in Australia. thats why I thought the thomas Simmons of 1857 might well have been him. Which would mean his parents stayed in England. However I have never been able to find out anything about the one from 1857 other then he came from Sussex and came on the plantaganet ship.